Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I just saw this at Engadget regarding the itunes Phone.

From Engadget :

This is the moment you’ve been waiting for: obviously we can’t tell you how we got ‘em, but after months of pining away for this, we’ve finally scored some actual live shots of a cellphone running Apple’s new iTunes Mobile software. It might just be an engineering or a production sample, and we can’t guarantee whether this will actually be the first iTunes phone or not, but we do know that we’re looking at a pearly white E790 and that synchronizes with iTunes 4.9 (and has the same autofill menu options as the iPod shuffle—see below). Not sure how much internal memory the phone has, but we do know that this sample shipped with a 128MB TransFlash card that sits opposite the SIM and under the battery and supposedly sounds every bit as good as a full-size iPod and has “excellent bass response”.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000887049175/

Attachments

• 3519517749551473.JPG.jpg
    3519517749551473.JPG.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,970
  • 7784793035856671.JPG.jpg
    7784793035856671.JPG.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,686

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
puckhead193 said:
if this is true, the carrier is not verizon because verizon doesn't use SIM cards... :(
Was about to point that out, verizon is old tech, they don't use GMA. But the rumors have been for Cingular anyway.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If any of this really has a source... ;) 128MB seems kind of small to me. :( Looks like Transflash goes up to 512MB right now, and 512MB costs at least $60....

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
After seeing this i doubt that apple could be holding a huge media event about this. I would be VERY dissapointed with apple if they did.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
That phone looks really nice. Assuming this transflash memory price goes down (I am going on hearsay from mkrishnan) this could become a viable option in the near future for quit a few people. But imagine if one of the new RAZRs is the iTunes Phone :eek:. There would be pandalerium everywhere... :rolleyes:

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
There's a little video of the phone updating linked from the Appleinsider forums. Nothing big, but shows the way it works in itunes.

I have verizon and I can't see them doing anything for the customer that doesn't involve using their network exclusively. I went into three stores in my area and they all told me I can't use bluetooth to transfer pics from my phone to my computer. I have to send them through the network via a msg. Thereby using up my pic msg allowance. They've gotten greedy.

Now with their press release about their own download service and music phone, they'll be losing my business...

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Imagine if they are ALL itunes phones. Every Motorola model that can do the business storage wise.

Why not?

Who wants their phone model purchase decision to be dependant on iTunes, better for Apple if as many models as possible support it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hmmm, so that iTunes video clip seems to be a more compelling (or at least harder to fake) piece of evidence than what we've seen so far.... But if this phone uses Transflash, AFAICS, there are no >512MB TF cards available, and that video clearly seemed to show the user setting the amount of memory devoted to songs on the phone as high as 628MB....

Well, anyway, very interesting. Almost here. I'm excited! :)

PS, my pricing info on TF came from dealram.com -- you can see for yourself if you don't want to rely on hearsay, Ham.... :)

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Thats weird...

In the video it said that there were 929mb.

I thought the highest for that phone was 512?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Verizon have recently been offering dual-standard (CDMA/GSM) Samsung "global" phones so that they can expand coverage onto the Vodafone network. Phones so equipped do have SIMs, but unfortunately they are non-portable ones.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
TransFlash cards are awesome. They are so small, maybe the reason it shows so much available space is because there are 2 512 MB TransFlash cards there (its small enough to fit like 10) and one is partly filled...

Seems kinda logical.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
dotdotdot said:
TransFlash cards are awesome. They are so small, maybe the reason it shows so much available space is because there are 2 512 MB TransFlash cards there (its small enough to fit like 10) and one is partly filled...

Seems kinda logical.

I somehow doubt it has slots for ten cards, but (A) I didn't realize how small those are (wow!) and (B) I'd be very happy with two slots! :D

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
I wonder what the battery life is going to be? I think that could be a major drawback on this combo.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
It's ok looking, but can't compare to the SES710a or the Samsung P777, but if this works well and is a full featured phone, i'll get it.

agent79

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2005
when will apple get it? why bother with motorola at all? why even mess with putting apple software in someone else's product? the answer is what i have been waiting for for years, and why i havent bought an ipod: a pda ipod/phone. ipods are cool and all, but i have no need to listen to an ipod. if it were a pda i would have more use for it. if it were a pda/phone i would have a huge amount of use for it. message to apple: you have successfully marketed to the teen crowd with the music only ipod. now go for the 18-48 crowd (i.e. the ones with money to spend) and give us what we want...the ipod pda/phone.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
128mb is smaller then my smallest play list on my ipod.

I personally don’t like the idea of listening to music on a device that regularly sends out RF. I am sure Motorola got rid of any interference that comes into the audio output, but that isn't my main reason for not liking the idea.

When I am listening to my ipod I am quite content to be in the "zone" and not get interrupted. I usually listen to my ipod while doing Auto detailing, working out, riding my bike, and even my dirt bike. I don't want to take any calls during that time.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
agent79 said:
when will apple get it? why bother with motorola at all? why even mess with putting apple software in someone else's product? the answer is what i have been waiting for for years, and why i havent bought an ipod: a pda ipod/phone. ipods are cool and all, but i have no need to listen to an ipod. if it were a pda i would have more use for it. if it were a pda/phone i would have a huge amount of use for it. message to apple: you have successfully marketed to the teen crowd with the music only ipod. now go for the 18-48 crowd (i.e. the ones with money to spend) and give us what we want...the ipod pda/phone.

I'd tend to agree. Didn't Steve say in some interview that a phone accessory for the iPod might be coming in the future?

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Eh, I was expecting something better. Hopefully this isn't the actual "iPhone" and it's just a sample of what the interface will be. Everyone says it's going to be Cingular which is good since that's what I use, but bad because it totally BLOWS. I had AT&T and loved it, but since the Cingular merger, things got worse and their plans are a total rip.

I was hoping something better would have its own July 7th announcement -- this phone looks so plain and ordinary.

Fishes,
narco.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Looks pretty nice actually, I was expecting worse. I'll be curious to hear the underlying details though, that's where the real test will be. Guess we'll find out soon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.