Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrman

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2005
psycho bob said:
Well all I can suggest is that you make sure BT is turned on on the RAZR and that it is discoverable, this is only done 30 seconds at a time manually (see manual or visit the connections preference pain on the RAZR which is under options or something similar then select bluetooth and navigate from there). Use the BT setup assistant on the mac to pair with the phone then use the BT transfer wizard to send data back and forth. You may have to keep making the phone discoverabe if it isn't automatically seen by the mac.
So is anyone having issues where they used to be able to browse the phone over bluetooth and cannot anymore? One-by-one push to the Mac works, but the Mac can't pull from the phone. BT File Exchange just kinda chokes.

macgirlatl

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2006
Mac Usb

I don't have bluetooth, and I want to transfer pictures from my phone to my MAC. Is there any way to do this via USB? Is there any Freeware out there?

ncmacguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2006
Transfer Files to RAZR

First, go through the entire pairing process so that your Mac and RAZR can communication with one another and you are able to use iSync, then...

Go to Applications/Utilities/Bluetooth File Exchange

Just select the file you want to send (I have tried with a photo, I am assuming that MP3s and videos will work too)

You will be asked which device to send it to... select your RAZR.

A warning will come up on your RAZR asking if you want to accept the transfer.

DONE. So simple I almost kicked myself when I figured it out. Ohh, and images for the wallpaper are best at 176x220, so do a little editing to get them just right.

Hetman

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2005
Montreal
Razr and address book dialing

After pairing and re-pairing the v3 with my iMac, I'm noticing that if I set it to any device, the Mac thinks the Razr V3 is a headset not a phone. That is why address Book will not dial out or send an SMS via the phone. Has anyone found a work around? Is this an error with the Motorola Razr or is this a bug in OS X's bluetooth setup utility? I am using mac OS 10.4.4. and yes I did have the setup software select the v3 as a mobile phone too. Either way address book wont dial. iSync worked however. It synced iCal and my addressbook but, names with multiple numbers had each number entered as a separate listing giving me duplicate names with different numbers.

leftylucy

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2006
Razr phone book is very limited

I've just bought 5 razrs for my family--all those great review--but if you read carefully you'll find lots of complaints near the end of the articles about the awful UI and the totally inadequate address book. Still some articles and 'help you select a phone sites' say it has PIM interface.

Here is what I've learned: in the UK the phone had a "cube" address book that listed up to (I think) nine numbers for one name. The cube turned kind of like when you switch users on the mac. As far as I can tell that isn't released in the US. Anyone in the UK want to share with the folks across the pond?

The US phone book can be set to show only the primary. This shows only one name per person. Choose view under the person's name and you can scroll through the other numbers. It is clunky and inconvienent.

The phone book (sometimes they call it an address book) does not allow you to enter an address or any kind of note. The calendar is the same. You can't enter the address of the place you have an appointment or a note about it. The reminder alarm, however, is nice. You can set it to days or hours prior to the meeting and the phone blinks a little red light and makes a very discreet beep about every 5 minutes until you tell it to stop.

The phone syncs painlessly using isnc, both calendar and phone book but the software/firmware on the razr only lets it sync the information in those very limited fields. I've used blue tooth to transfer audio, pictures but don't think there is a way to add a data file to use as a to-do list. Any 3rd party software out there to do that would be appreciated. It seems crazy to have a phone that can text message but can't leave itself a message. I suppect they want you to use air time to send yourself a note or access the internet. More money for them.

The voice recognition feature works really well if you don't want to dail anyone with a 6 syllable name unless you can talk very fast. Anyway you can avoid the address book a lot by training the phone to recognize short names for your contacts. You find the person in the address book, choose view, choose record voice, press the right side button, say the name quickly, it asks you to say it again and usually your done. Sometimes it says it can't do it but that just means you spent too much time saying "her royal majesty the queen of england" Better settle for "queen".

For a person who wants the media functions its cool (I don't. I have a laptop computer and pay for internet already) If you want BASIC features like a real address book, a to do list, and to attach notes to your appointments, it is a LOUSY phone. I do not want or need a pda. Also you can't disable the buttons and menu selections that take you on line.

I think Motorala should have to give us an update to fix the basic functions. They have sold millions. Write them and complain.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
SumDumGuy said:
DataPilot makes software that you can use to exchange MP3s, photos, etc. between you phone and Mac. I use it with my Motorola V220 and it works great.

Oh my @*#&ing god. I love you. I have a V220, which I bought without really researching if it supported Macintosh, and I slapped myself several times when I realized I couldn't get picutres off of it or put ringtones on it, and I fumbled around with iSync and Mobile Phone Tools (which doesn't work very well on Windows) for hours before admitting defeat and keeping my picture-count low.

I love you.

I love you.

Smooches. Wanna make out? 'Kay. Marry me.

My God...

Jax0n

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2006
RAZR to MAC via USB Question Answered?

So I have the same question:

How do I sync my Razr with my Mac so I can transfer photos using a USB cable:

WITHOUT USING BLUETOOOTH
+
WITHOUT HAVING TO FORK OVER $80 FOR DataPilot (cool program, but I don't want to buy it!)

Thanks!

plasmicmac

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2006
Jax0n said:
So I have the same question:

How do I sync my Razr with my Mac so I can transfer photos using a USB cable:

WITHOUT USING BLUETOOOTH
+
WITHOUT HAVING TO FORK OVER $80 FOR DataPilot (cool program, but I don't want to buy it!)

Thanks!

yeah...when's someone gonna read what the post says...

NO BLUETOOTH!!!

lemme know...

plasmicmac@socal.rr.com

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
mikeyredk said:
Trying to connect the razr with my iMac G5 using VPC can anyone help, its not working :(

installed the phone tools and all

It won't work at all, in all likelihood. The Motorola phone tools for Windows creates a virtual serial port to communicate with the hardware directly, something VPC can't pass to the host machine. Also, since Macs don't have serial ports and haven't had them in ages, there's no easy way to fake one, because the necessary underlying components aren't there. The Bluetooth stack is specialized to do a similar "virtual serial port" connection, but it's all neatly packaged in the specialized hardware.

For those of you looking for a free way to use USB for file transfers, the short answer is that there isn't one. It's not easy to do this on a Mac, and Motorola phones are not fully spec-compliant anyway. There are USB utilities out there for cell phones, but the combination of Motorola handsets and Macintosh computers is a no go over USB. Bluetooth is your best bet, and BT adapters are $20...which is an inexpensive and easy alternative.

shelia

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2006
How to send pictures from your Mac to your Razr

Preparing Pictures on your Mac

I happen to have Photoshop Elements 3.0 for the Mac. You can use any program that will allow you to reduce the size of your photo to 9 kB or smaller. Seven to 10 kilobytes seems to work best. Once your photo is prepared, proceed to the section called Preparing your Macintosh.

Open Photoshop Elements

Open the picture you want to sent to your Razr.

Click on Image, drag down to Resize and over to Image Size.

Under Document Size, change width to 3 inches. The height will automatically change to the correct number.

Click OK.

Click on File and drag down to Save As

Make a folder on your desktop to save the picture in.

Repeat steps 1-7 for each picture you want to send to your Razr.

Make sure Photoshop Elements is open.

Have all of the pictures open that you changed the size of.

Do the following to each of those pictures. Click on File and drag down to Save for Web

The Save for Web window will appear.

Change the Settings to JPEG Medium.

Click OK.

Save the pictures in the folder you just created on your Desktop.

Preparing your Macintosh

Note: I am using Macintosh Operating System version 10.4.6.

Plug your Razr into your Macintosh. (I took my Razr into my local computer parts/repair store. The man looked at the port in the Razr, and came back with a cable that fit the Razr on one end and had a USB connection on the other end.)

Open the Razr.

Open System Preferences. In the Hardware section click on Bluetooth.

The Bluetooth window will appear.

Click on Turn Bluetooth On.

Put a check next to Discoverable.

Put a check next to Show Bluetooth status in the menu bar.

Quit System Preferences.

Look in the menu bar in the top right corner of your screen for the Bluetooth symbol. Click on it and drag down to Set Up Bluetooth Device.

The Bluetooth Setup Assistant window will appear.

Click on Continue.

It will ask you to Select Device Type.

Click on Mobile Phone.

Click on Continue.

It will probably say “No phones have been found. Please make sure your phone is “discoverable.”

Now it is time to get your Razr Bluetooth ready.

Preparing Your Razr

On the Razr keypad, push the button that is shaped like a circle.

You will see nine icons on the screen.

Click on the icon in the top, left corner. It’s called Settings.

Scroll down to Connection and select it.

Under Incoming Call you will see the Bluetooth Symbol on the right. Select it.

Under Bluetooth Link select Setup.

Under Setup, Find Me will be highlighted, so all you have to do it select it.

You will get a message that says, “Bluetooth Power is Off. Temporarily Power On?” Click on Yes.

It will say, “Bluetooth Powering On.”

Then it will say it will be Discoverable: 60 seconds. (this means you have one minute to go back to your Macintosh and get it to find your Razr. The Bluetooth Setup Assistant window should still be open on your computer monitor.

You should see Motorola Phone under Mobile Phones.

Click on Continue.

The next window will say Gathering information about your device. When it is finished, it will say Gathering additional information complete. Click Continue to proceed with configuring this device.

Click on Continue.

The next window will be entitled, Pairing with the mobile phone.

You will see a six digit number in the middle of the window.

Go back to your Razr. It will say Bond with [the User name of your Macintosh]? Select Yes.

The Razr will then ask you “Enter Bluetooth Passkey:”

Enter in the six digit number you see on your Macintosh. Select OK.

Go back to the Macintosh.

It may say There were no supported services found on your device. Click Continue.

The next window, entitled Conclusion, will say Congratulations! Your mobile phone is now set up to use your computer’s Bluetooth features.

Click on Quit.

Now your Razr and Macintosh recognize each other.

How to Send Files from your Macintosh to your Razr

On the Macintosh, click on the Bluetooth symbol in the menu bar in the top, right corner of the monitor.

Drag down to Browse Device... A window entitled, Browse Files, will appear.

Click on Browse.

A window called, Browsing..., will appear. Click on the appropriate folder (In this case it is picture.)

Click on Send.

Maneuver your way to the folder on your Desktop where you saved the prepared pictures.

Select the pictures you want to send to your Razr using the following tips: Hold down the Shift key and click on the top picture, and then on the bottom picture. See how it selects all of the pictures in the list?

Now hold down the Command key (it has an apple on it) and click on the top picture and the third picture. See how it didn’t select the second picture?

Click on Send.

The pictures are now on your Razr! Congratulations! :D

talan79

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2006
razr 3vi and a mac

Hello everybody!

I just bought a non-Itunes unlocked motorola 3vi. I have a Mac and the phone tools software is only for PC. I can't seem to get isync to read it. The micro SD reads on my desktop. I bought the datapilot. but i can't get that to work either. does anyone have any ideas or am I just SOL.

Sweet.Pea

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008
Accessing Motorola via USB on Mac

Hi all,
I apologise in advance for my ignorance when it comes to correct terminology.
I discovered a way to access the 'files' on my Motorola Razr V3x via USB cable on my Mac G5. I am hoping it would work with other Motorolas & other Macs because there seems to be a lot of questions out there regarding Motorolas & Macs and accessing, transferring etc. because it obviously isn't as strait forward as most things are with Macs.

Anyway - TRY THIS - connect your Motorola to your Mac via USB, stay with the Motorola, go into your menu & to "Connection" then "USB Settings" change your Default Connection to Memory Card. Back or clear out & turn off your Motorola. Then turn on your Motorola (ensure it is still connected via USB to your Mac). You should get an Icon on your desktop named "RAZR" or perhaps something else related to the name of your Motorola. You can now access all the files & stuff on your Motorola as though it's a USB stick (or something similar).

OK, so, IF NOT - you may have to open Macintosh HD or something else in Finder & you might see another icon there relating to your mobile.
OR I guess another thing you could try is changing your Default Connection to Data connection & following the same steps - this is not the way it worked for me but I guess you never know when it comes to electronic devices.

Well, I hope this helps someone out there & I'm sorry it's taken so long to find an answer - there probably aren't many out there with what many would consider to now be an "old" phone.

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
Wow I was reading this post as if it were new until I saw the guy talking about a PM G5 still in stores and then I looked at the date, 2005? wow that's awhile ago

But thanks for the update

Zack

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003

Hi all,
I discovered a way to access the 'files' on my Motorola Razr V3x via USB cable on my Mac G5. I am hoping it would work with other Motorolas & other Macs because there seems to be a lot of questions out there regarding Motorolas & Macs and accessing, transferring etc. because it obviously isn't as strait forward as most things are with Macs.

Anyway - TRY THIS - connect your Motorola to your Mac via USB, stay with the Motorola, go into your menu & to "Connection" then "USB Settings" change your Default Connection to Memory Card. Back or clear out & turn off your Motorola. Then turn on your Motorola (ensure it is still connected via USB to your Mac). You should get an Icon on your desktop named "RAZR" or perhaps something else related to the name of your Motorola. You can now access all the files & stuff on your Motorola as though it's a USB stick (or something similar).

OK, so, IF NOT - you may have to open Macintosh HD or something else in Finder & you might see another icon there relating to your mobile.
OR I guess another thing you could try is changing your Default Connection to Data connection & following the same steps - this is not the way it worked for me but I guess you never know when it comes to electronic devices.

Well, I hope this helps someone out there & I'm sorry it's taken so long to find an answer - there probably aren't many out there with what many would consider to now be an "old" phone.

Or you could just use bitpim....by the way this was a rather old thread.

tarja333

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008
razr2

hi i have also upgraded to a motorola razr v9 and NO USB connection, NO isync only blue tooth on my mac G4 powerbook, that is just crap, upgraded from a motorola slvr (nearly 3 years old) and that does it all USB, iSync and BT, bizarre........... are they going backwards or what????
all software that come with the motorola razr v9 is for windows???
i only upgraded because the text is so small and hard to read, what's this world coming too:confused::confused:

seems the V3 is more compatible than the V9 also ?????????????????????????????

tarja333

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008

Hi all,

Hi sorry did not read this tread:eek: it may be old but thanks because i t worked for me got USB connection just need Isync
Cheers all

GewOne

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
Sorry for bouncing in on a ~1½ decade old thread, but I just picked a RAZR V3 up from an auction, and thought I'd see if I can hook it up to my Macbook, running latest OSX. When plugging the Mini-USB cable in, it does indeed start to charge the device. However, the device does not pop up as a removable device, and nothing in the phone GUI changes, e.g. giving me options what to do with the new connection. Will Bluetooth be my only way of e.g. transferring .MID ringtones and/or .JPG photos to/from the phone?

jel888

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2018
Europe
Sorry for bouncing in on a ~1½ decade old thread, but I just picked a RAZR V3 up from an auction, and thought I'd see if I can hook it up to my Macbook, running latest OSX. When plugging the Mini-USB cable in, it does indeed start to charge the device. However, the device does not pop up as a removable device, and nothing in the phone GUI changes, e.g. giving me options what to do with the new connection. Will Bluetooth be my only way of e.g. transferring .MID ringtones and/or .JPG photos to/from the phone?
I'm jumping on this old forum question too as I found two old files (one a video) on my daughter's old Motorola RAZR V3 that my husband uses. I tried to connect via Bluetooth on an iMac and it didn't work (even though the iMac says connected via Bluetooth to the Razr and the Razr picks up the iMac). Clearly gives some error message when you try to finally transfer the file to the device selected, something about an incompatibility (and I also read on a form elsewhere the Bluetooth will not work with iPhone's either only androids). So I'm wondering if anyone "currently" has gotten a transfer to work between the Razr and an Apple device? Even with a USB cable (only charges on my iMac, doesn't see the Razr)?

Reactions: GewOne

asafx

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2023
I'm jumping on this old forum question too as I found two old files (one a video) on my daughter's old Motorola RAZR V3 that my husband uses. I tried to connect via Bluetooth on an iMac and it didn't work (even though the iMac says connected via Bluetooth to the Razr and the Razr picks up the iMac). Clearly gives some error message when you try to finally transfer the file to the device selected, something about an incompatibility (and I also read on a form elsewhere the Bluetooth will not work with iPhone's either only androids). So I'm wondering if anyone "currently" has gotten a transfer to work between the Razr and an Apple device? Even with a USB cable (only charges on my iMac, doesn't see the Razr)?
try downloading "motorola tools

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.