Motorola RAZR V3i Released (with iTunes)

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today Motorola released a new phone with optional iTunes support, the RAZR V3i. The new phone is the ultrathin design and lazer-etched keypad.

• Updated and streamlined Motorola RAZR V3 design
• 1.23 megapixel digital camera with 8x digital zoom, video capture and full screen viewfinder
• iTunes™ music software or Motorola’s Digital Audio Music Player with mini-USB stereo headset
• Airplane mode
• Hot swappable TransFlash™ memory card
• 262K color wallpapers & screensavers on internal display
• 65K color support on external display
• Speaker independent name & digit dialing
• Dedicated browser and messaging keys
• Integrated Class 1 Bluetooth technology with imaging, printing, peer to peer gaming profiles
• Motorola’s SCREEN3 technology* solution featuring zero-click access to news, sports, entertainment and other program content
• Rich, pre-loaded or downloaded J2ME™ games, screen savers and MP3 ringtones
According to Motorola, availability is expected in Q4 2005.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
so now i know why all my friends were getting their razors for free with their plans..

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
the question should be when will they support verizon so i can get me one.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Why didn't they release this one to start back in September?

I think this is the idea everyone had in their head when they heard that Moto would be designing a phone with iTunes support...

JohnGalt

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2004
outbound voice quality improved?

Let's hope they've improved outbound voice quality of this phone over the ROKR. One 'silent' issue with the ROKR is that while voice quality inbound is terrific, outbound SUCKS. People cannot understand you, tell you your voice sounds as if you're underwater, etc. I've tried four (4) ROKRS, all with the same problem. IHMO, there's an issue with the internal A/D convertor, but if it's not that, there's something not right........

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
It seems that in the not too distant future, iTunes will become a standard feature on all mid-high end Motorola phones across the GSM and CDMA lineup, just like Bluetooth or Java. It's definantly not too difficult to put the iTunes app into the firmware.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Nice. The more phones that utilize iTunes, the better! I just really wish Apple would offer an over-the-air download service. Now THAT would be awesome. :)

Fotek2001

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
London, England
I can't beleive the crap cell phone carriers in the US make their customers put up with - cripped phones from Verizon, charges to receive SMS messages, it's no wonder the industry in the US is so far behind the rest of the world...

The RAZR with its clunky Moto user interface is just another example of wireless technology not living up to the hype. Apple should have looked into working with innovative manufacturers like Sony Ericsson, Nokia or even Samsung - disappointing!

badmofo9000

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Shores of Lake Michigan
bokdol said:
the question should be when will they support verizon so i can get me one.

I believe the original razr was only for gsm networks(cingular, t-mobile). If they kept this gsm only then it is a no go for verizon, or us cellular as they are cdma networks and not gsm.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Fotek2001 said:
I can't beleive the crap cell phone carriers in the US make their customers put up with - cripped phones from Verizon, charges to receive SMS messages, it's no wonder the industry in the US is so far behind the rest of the world...
Not to mention the crap Pay-as-you-go phones here where the minutes expire if you don't use them within a certain time period, or some where they actually charge you a daily fee to have them (I'm looking at you Verizon).

Yes US Cell Phone carriers are ****, but at least I'm still on an old AT+T Wireless contract that doesn't charge me for incoming SMSs!

scheming

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2005
patience is a virtue

i kept my v600 waiting for something that was actually better and not just more stylish and now im really excited for this. :) screw the slvr l7 by the way. the features sound stupid compared to this

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
How much does it cost now?
Give it a year or so and you know theyll be free or almost free with the plan but I kinda want it now :) .

oskar

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Very nice phone. The pre-Paris Expo announcement wouldn't have been so lame if they had announced this phone instead of the ROKR. This phone is much more like what we would expect from something related to Apple.

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
skunk said:
I know you Americans love your Zees, but LASER is an acronym.
Wouldn't that be Zeds? :D

BTW, Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

Now back on topic: I hate the RAZR. It's got too much going on... why, oh why, can't I just have a phone?!? Maybe one that actually works! So often these phones with cameras, browsers, games, toasters, etc. don't work as advertized... not to mention the lousy reception.