Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
PA
Yet again, I need some advice...I will be buying a new cell phone tomorrow (Probably through Cingular) and I can't decide between 2 phones.
The Nokia 6102 and the Motorola RazR V3 (Black)
The Nokia is $89.99 and the RazR is $199.99.
There are a couple things on the Nokia that I don't like: the camera is only 0.3 MegaPixels, I don't think it has Bluetooth, and the consensus seems to be the that ear-piece volume is very low.
The RazR seems to have everything, hence the price. I really don't want to fork out $200 dollars for a cell phone, but I figure If have to have it for 2 years, I better be happy with it! But is it actually a better phone?, aside from style? Is it worth the price? I'm curious as to what you guys think?! Any advice, experiences, opinions, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a shot of the Nokia 6102:
50274579_2059038943.jpg

Everyone knows what the Black RazR looks like. :)

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
PaRaGoNViCtiM said:
Yet again, I need some advice...I will be buying a new cell phone tomorrow (Probably through Cingular) and I can't decide between 2 phones.
The Nokia 6102 and the Motorola RazR V3 (Black)
The Nokia is $89.99 and the RazR is $199.99.
There are a couple things on the Nokia that I don't like: the camera is only 0.3 MegaPixels, I don't think it has Bluetooth, and the consensus seems to be the that ear-piece volume is very low.
The RazR seems to have everything, hence the price. I really don't want to fork out $200 dollars for a cell phone, but I figure If have to have it for 2 years, I better be happy with it! But is it actually a better phone?, aside from style? Is it worth the price? I'm curious as to what you guys think?! Any advice, experiences, opinions, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a shot of the Nokia 6102:
50274579_2059038943.jpg

Everyone knows what the Black RazR looks like. :)

The RAZR also has a VGA (.3MP) 640x480 quality camera. And if you go from Nokia's UI to Moto's: prepare to buy two phones. You will throw one into a wall ;)

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
I have a 6102, it's a DAMN good phone. I love the camera, which for .3 MP actually takes decent pictures at 640x480. Plus, it's a Nokia...great UI! Get it, you won't regret it.

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
PA
StealthRider said:
I have a 6102, it's a DAMN good phone. I love the camera, which for .3 MP actually takes decent pictures at 640x480. Plus, it's a Nokia...great UI! Get it, you won't regret it.
Nice!! Thanks! Does it have Bluetooth?

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
PA
Well, thanks for the input guys!!! I went to Cingular today, and compared the 2 phones, and I walked out of the store with the Black Motorola RazR!!! Seeing the Motorola and the Nokia next to each other, I just couldn't resist. I'm very, very happy with my decision. It's such an awesome phone!!! Is there anything I should know about it? As far as taking care of it or anything?

robcts

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
If I had to pick between those two I'd get the RAZR even though it has tons of problems and reception issues.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
I have the 6102

I got my Nokia 6102 in August and I am quite happy with it.

It's doesn't have Bluetooth but it does have the Nokia UI.

I have been a Nokia User for years so when I borrowed my brother's Moto RazR, I didn't like it all. It's just a personal preference. I also felt that the Nokia's screen was crisper.

I guess it depends what features you need and what you are used to using.

Enjoy your new phone.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Should have skipped them both and gotten an S710a for the same price (after rebate) as the RAZR :rolleyes: Bluetooth, a good interface, good camera (for a phone), and I constantly get "Whoa that's a cool phone" remarks.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I can't wait till the Razr hits Verizon. Only a couple more months! :D I'm still on my Motorola v60i, great phone, starting to wear out though.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
robcts said:
If I had to pick between those two I'd get the RAZR even though it has tons of problems and reception issues.

Really? I've had mine for a year and its been great.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
PaRaGoNViCtiM said:
Well, thanks for the input guys!!! I went to Cingular today, and compared the 2 phones, and I walked out of the store with the Black Motorola RazR!!! Seeing the Motorola and the Nokia next to each other, I just couldn't resist. I'm very, very happy with my decision. It's such an awesome phone!!! Is there anything I should know about it? As far as taking care of it or anything?
Congratulations! The pillow-looking thing that comes with it is for wiping fingerprints from its screens. It can attach to the phone itself. I guess you'll be as careful with it as with your PowerBook so you shouldn't have any problems. I know someone who dropped her RAZR and she now has a slight dent on the back near the battery, in about the center. If/when I get a black RAZR I'm going to get my PowerBook anodized black to match. :D

RoxStrongo

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2005
Bournemouth, UK
well i hope u have a protective enclosure for it. those things break in a slight breeze. ericsson or samsung are the only sensible choice, the other manufacturers dont have a clue.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I Currently have a Sony Ericsson T637 and can't wait for the Z520. QuadBand GSM, BT, IR, 16MB, MP3/AAC ringtones, flip, speakerphone, themes, Awesome looking bluelights that light up when you get a call, SE UI, and more. For good pics just look through this thread at Hofo

http://howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=730559

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
RoxStrongo said:
well i hope u have a protective enclosure for it. those things break in a slight breeze. ericsson or samsung are the only sensible choice, the other manufacturers dont have a clue.

Please, Motorola is the best phone manufacturer in both quality and design. I think the only thing I don't like about Motorola's UI is the address book....everyone has a separate entry for each phone number (instead of having one entry with multiple numbers in it).

I've had the RAZR for a few months, and it really is a good phone. The battery life seems a bit short, but that really doesn't bother me.

aalberto

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2005
I stay away from Motorola - my brother had one and, within the one year he owned it, the phone wore out the battery to the point that the battery couldn't hold a charge. I exchanged it for him for a Samsung phone, which was much better.

itsbetteronamac

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
mac-er said:
Please, Motorola is the best phone manufacturer in both quality and design. I think the only thing I don't like about Motorola's UI is the address book....everyone has a separate entry for each phone number (instead of having one entry with multiple numbers in it).

I've had the RAZR for a few months, and it really is a good phone. The battery life seems a bit short, but that really doesn't bother me.

You must know nothing about cell phones. Motorola's design has sucked until the razr, and even then there are issues. The phone isn't balanced, reception is not good, camera is low quality for VGA, and don't even get me started on the awful user interface. Also as for quality motorola has had to recall more phones than any other manufacturer, mostly because of reception issues. (Which is a big thing considering cell phones are used for talking)

But, I'm not a hater, and must compliment Motrola on a achieving "thinnest flip," well at least until NEC came out with there new Asia market flip a month ago which is a mm thinner.

Choosing between Razer and Nokia 6102... I would choose the razr because of bluetooth. But, other than that... no.

RoxStrongo

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2005
Bournemouth, UK
yes well done to motorola for getting a phone so small but it is hardly functional. the battery is ***** and my mate went thru 2 in 2 weeks coz firstly the keylight stopped working and then the whole hinge broke off. having the screen and keys seperate is not helpful. and yes there is the classic moto UI, god it sucks. wot next? people bigging up the ROKR?

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2005
PA
I had a Moto V551 for over a year before I got my RazR, and I never had one problem with it!! I've had a ton of phones, Nokia's, Samsung's, Kyocera's and Motorola in my experience was the best by far!! I'm not really too comfortable buying anything else! Everyone has their personal preference, and from my experience Motos are the best!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.