Motorola ROKR E2 iTunes Phone

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider posts some information and a presentation slide on the upcoming Motorola ROKR E2 phone.

The ROKR E2 is the successor to the ROKR E1 which was released by Apple and Motorola in September. While the E1 represented the first iTunes enabled cell phone, it was met with many criticisms.

Meanwhile, a recent Businessweek article reported that Motorola was revamping the ROKR for 2006 with many new features.

In 2006, Motorola is planning on introducing a new version of the ROKR that addresses many of the issues of the first generation. New features expected include a 1 megapixel camera, a 3.5mm earphone jack, capacity to hold 1000 songs, and a "sleek new look". iTunes support is expected to remain.

powerboy

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
That looks promising - better than the first one anyway. Hopefully they release it sooner rather than later.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Third Floor
So what. Give me this, someone: a phone with excellent battery power. No silly camera, no whistle, no unnecessary bells. My current Motorola, a v330 has 1. a weak battery, 2. a goofy, unintuitive interface, and 3. a slow proc'. The last thing I need is more bell/whistle crap added to it.

Does anyone make a phone that is built to run fast minus the bells and whistles?

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
I sure hope this is better than the last ROKR -- But will it really stack up with the new itunes RAZR???

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
mangoman said:
So what. Give me this, someone: a phone with excellent battery power. No silly camera, no whistle, no unnecessary bells. My current Motorola, a v330 has 1. a weak battery, 2. a goofy, unintuitive interface, and 3. a slow proc'. The last thing I need is more bell/whistle crap added to it.

Does anyone make a phone that is built to run fast minus the bells and whistles?
Yep. Most of Nokia's business phones, such as the 6310i. Black and White, No camera, battery that lasts about a week, Bluetooth and a user interface that mostly makes sense.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
lopresmb said:
I sure hope this is better than the last ROKR -- But will it really stack up with the new itunes RAZR???
They're essentially the same phone underneath, same ****** UI, same slow CPU that should have been mothballed 3 years ago.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
iGary said:
This, I would buy:

Would that keypad slide out? If so, it would be cool, if not, it would be awkward.

As for the new ROKR, looks a lot better than the first attempt. I'll reserve judgement for when people have tested it. My only problem would be all those that signed up for the original, when the new one comes out so soon after. They are signed up to 18-24 month contracts and will probably not get the option to trade theirs in for this, on the same contract.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I suppose it's a slight improvement, but I still don't find the look of it all that appealing...hardly worthy of any kind of association with Apple.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Hmm - I'm in for a new plan and phone soon. But the value of this phone is all about how it looks. If it's big and clunky it won't matter if it holds 1000 songs instead of 100.

Still this is good news. Moto is taking the issues with the original ROKR seriously.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
dernhelm said:
Hmm - I'm in for a new plan and phone soon. But the value of this phone is all about how it looks. If it's big and clunky it won't matter if it holds 1000 songs instead of 100.

Still this is good news. Moto is taking the issues with the original ROKR seriously.
Yeah, but I think it also has a bit to do with the fear that this iTunes link-up won't last too much longer if they don't sell well. A lot still suspect Apple are itching to produce a smartphone, (which will probably be a iPod-Newton hybrid in terms of features and usability). If Apple did do this, it would potentially kill off Motorola's sales as portable players get to the crucial phone stage of their development. Most manufacturers know mp3 players have only a few great years left, then many will merely use their phones for music, with iPods and such becoming multimedia players being slowly dying off. If Motorola can prove they have what it takes to sell phones based on their music capability, Apple will be less inclined to dump them early on and either go alone or jump in with another manufacturer.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
I would never by a motorola phone again, they are cheap pieces of shiat. I agree with the poster above about creating an actually good phone first (without all the bells and whistles) and then slowly adding new features, much like how apple has done with the ipod. All these tweens and teens (for the most part) are the main target audience for the sub $250 phones and that is a problem. They really need to hire some usability experts that know what they are doing and redesign the interface. What good is a cool looking phone if it has the brain of a mouse?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Thisn is a good thing - I knew the first ROKR was just a stepping stone, and there would be many faults with it. It looks as though Motorola is addressing these issues though and hopefully this updated offering will see better success.

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
I'm more of a fan of the flip phones... this looks much better than the previous model. Forget the RAZR, I'm waiting for this rumored iPhone

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Bubbasteve said:
I'm more of a fan of the flip phones... this looks much better than the previous model. Forget the RAZR, I'm waiting for this rumored iPhone
The RAZR is fine for what I need now (although the OS needs work). An iTunes RAZR or SLVR would be a step in the right director for the ROKR line, but I doubt Motorola would simply merge the two so soon. If an iPhone is ever even going to come out, it will probably have to wait a good long time. Apple has a lot of more important hardware and software computing issues to deal with now. They should just let Motorola worry about keeping the iTunes name afloat in the phone market for the next couple of years. Then, when Sony and Nokia have had a chance to release their music-phone hybrids into the marketplace, probably trouncing Motorola in the process, Apple can step in, release the iPhone with a great OS (secretly in development from the original ROKR's release), and capture 50% market share for music-phones within a few months. Letting Motorola beta test the mobile iTunes software is fine by me since I really don't want a phone like the ROKR (or an iPhone) right now. Maybe if the iPhone offered superior iCal, Mail, and Address Book integration, built in iSight for on the move video conferencing, a decent camera (3MP minimum) and a spacious internal memory (4GB minimum)... Then I'd buy in a heartbeat.
:D :D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I guess any evolution is a good thing!

No mobile phone--or mobile SERVICE--is good enough to take my money yet.

For a few cents I check my answering machine messages via calling card a couple times a day when I'm out. It keeps me in touch with my clients far more cheaply and less cumbersomely [wow, spellcheck accepted that word!] than a mobile phone.

It doesn't let them reach me instantly any time and place... but that's a BENEFIT :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
nagromme said:
I guess any evolution is a good thing!

No mobile phone--or mobile SERVICE--is good enough to take my money yet.

For a few cents I check my answering machine messages via calling card a couple times a day when I'm out. It keeps me in touch with my clients far more cheaply and less cumbersomely [wow, spellcheck accepted that word!] than a mobile phone.

It doesn't let them reach me instantly any time and place... but that's a BENEFIT :)
I agree with ya - I have no desire to own a cell phone - sometimes I just don't want to be reached... ;) And having no cell bill every month frees up more income for other fun purchases. :cool:

Lynxpro

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2005
That ROKR E2 looks like the Motorola PEBL if you ask me.

I couldn't wait any longer. I dumped Cingular for the second time (I hated Cingular and switched to AT&T Wireless only to see Cingular buy them) and went with T-Mobile last weekend. Took advantage of the deal at CompUSA to pick up 2 Motorola RAZRs for $79. And the phones are awesome. I get much better reception than I had with the Sony Ericsson T616. And despite what people biotch about online about Motorola's software, I have no problem with the UI. I'll take Motorola's UI over Nokia's microwave oven-worthy radiation levels their mobile phones kick out any day.

I would have preferred to get the second generation iTunes compatible RAZR but there's no word whether T-Mobile will land it or not, and I'm not going back with Cingular just for a phone. However, the new RAZR will supposedly sport 32 megs of memory plus the 512 megs of TransFlash, which is definitely a step up on my RAZRs memory. From there, I would expect Motorola to upgrade the RAZR with better cameras. 1 megapixel, then 2, 3, and 5. By this time next year, the base camera phones should be 2 megapixel quality.

Lynxpro

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2005
~Shard~ said:
I agree with ya - I have no desire to own a cell phone - sometimes I just don't want to be reached... ;) And having no cell bill every month frees up more income for other fun purchases. :cool:

Ah, but I dumped my landline. At this point, you only need a landline for a DirecTV installation and/or for a burglar alarm.

"Efff SBC" is what I have to say.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I tried to use the ROKR and it was clunky to me. I like that the razors come with itunes, but I love my t616 too much to switch!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't care, really. I actually don't see much lacking in the ROKR other than a decent camera, but I doubt I'd use the camera even if it was 1 or 2 MP because they don't use "real" lenses and the photos would end up crap.

I don't care because its just a music program on a mobile phone, and it doesn't matter if they put iTunes on a better phone or not.