Motorola ROKR iTunes Phone Review

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Playlist provides an early review of the Motorola ROKR phone which was introduced alongside the iPod nano last week.

The ROKR provides the first iTunes-enabled phone, but based on the initial reviews, it appears the phone has some room to improvent:

While I’m pleased that the phone finally saw the light of day, my pleasure just about ends there. As a phone, it’s hardly cutting edge. And as a music player, it’s a poor substitute for an iPod.
Criticisms include slow music transfers, limit of 100 songs, and slow user interface. That being said, according to reports, Motorola will be expanding their product line with future phones (possibly the RAZR) that also provide the iTunes software.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
i knew this would be a load of old poo. but hey its a step towards the future, mobile iTunes is a good thing.

SharksFan22

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Bay Area, CA
I bought one, used it for a day and returned it. Nice idea, but the execution just wasn't up to par. The interface was slow, loading songs wasn't an elegant expereince, and the sound quality via the supplied earphones was pretty bad. Maybe rev. 2 will solve these problems.

mohaukachi

macrumors member
May 28, 2003
los angeles
eh, this is the problem with pairing Apple with another company on a product release. frankly im surprised it actually got made! hopefully things will advance in time.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I was going to get one, but maybe I'll wait for rev. 2 as well. I figured this would be like the people who complain about iPods being expensive, but they're hits anyway. And everyone keeps comparing to phones that are more expensive. But so far I haven't seen any really good reviews. And USB 1.1? Ugh. It's a nice start though, and I'm sure it will sell enough to make them want to continue making more models, but I'm sure they'll get the idea that it needs to be improved if sales fall short.

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
I think we all new it was going to be a bit of a duffer but similarly I think it will probably improve with subsequent releases. My feeling is that Apple should have teamed up with Nokia instead of Moto. Their phones are simply superior IMO and I've had several of both with which to make comparisons.

boringName

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2005
SharksFan22 said:
I bought one, used it for a day and returned it. Nice idea, but the execution just wasn't up to par.
Well, there should be plenty of "refurbished" phones available for cheap. Maybe if it were $100, it would be worth it?

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Noiseboy said:
My feeling is that Apple should have teamed up with Nokia instead of Moto. Their phones are simply superior IMO and I've had several of both with which to make comparisons.
My feeling is the exact opposite, based on my experience. Nokia / Motorola is sort of like Pepsi / Coke and Ford / Chevy (substitute Vauxhall, Opel or Holden). I prefer Motorola phones over Nokia.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
This doesn't surprise me at all - I could tell from the minute that Jobs displayed that thing during the media event that he wasn't thrilled with it, and along with all the negative speculation and such surrounding it, I was pretty sure these types of reviews would come out. Thank god I have no interest in buying one - or any cell phone for that matter!

blilly

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
Rod Rod said:
My feeling is the exact opposite, based on my experience. Nokia / Motorola is sort of like Pepsi / Coke and Ford / Chevy (substitute Vauxhall, Opel or Holden). I prefer Motorola phones over Nokia.
Ford/Chevy????!

Is one of those supposed to be good?

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
i really don't understand why people are so frustrated with this phone, like many have said this is just REV.1.
it will get better, and atleast the technology has been introduced!
heck, i didn't even but an iPod until they were on the 4th gen, and had color! :eek:

relax, and enjoy knowing that this is just the beginning... :)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's the first of its kind in its specific area. Once upon a time, so were the Newton, the QuickTake camera, and many other consumer toys. This isn't an Apple product, but just like those Apple products it will lead to better models that address its limitations and design proplems.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
Personally I am not at all interested in the phone. Never have been-

My only interest has been how will it represent a product line that I enjoy so much - and it sounds like it represents the ipod / itunes product poorly.

stupid phone.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Doctor Q said:
It's the first of its kind in its specific area. Once upon a time, so were the Newton, the QuickTake camera, and many other consumer toys. This isn't an Apple product, but just like those Apple products it will lead to better models that address its limitations and design proplems.
That is a good point Doctor Q - maybe we should all just consider this a small step towards bigger and better future products.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Missing the point?

I feel as though everyone is missing the point here. Yes, this effort was lacking, but this also wasn't REALLY Apple's doing. Apple didn't design this phone. I'm guessing they had little or nothing to do with it's final design. This phone is "iTunes enabled" not "Apple designed." The phone is lacking in many ways, sure, but is that Apple's fault? No. This is a MOTOROLA phone that happens to have iTunes on it. That's it. I tend to think that this is nothing more than Apple's testing the waters, and they have every intention of using the success/failure of this phone to their advantage in the future.

That being said, it also needs to be pointed that this is the E1, the first version. Think of it as a public beta if you must. So, sure, there are going to be problems.

It's a first step. A baby step. There will be more, they will be better, and if you ask me, Apple will design a proper iPhone down the line.

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
The thing that troubles me is this is the best they can come up with after a year of working on this device.

Disappointed and underwhelmed.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
epochblue said:
It's a first step. A baby step. There will be more, they will be better, and if you ask me, Apple will design a proper iPhone down the line.

Perhaps- and if that hapens this Motorolla Monstrosity may act as a foil to Apple's product, highlighting how strong Apple's designs are compared to many other companies. That's an interesting possibility.

Till then I say - stupid phone.

jmeyoung

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2005
Atlanta
The phone never has really excited me, that said, I would be interested in trying iTunes on my Treo 650.

Short of that, the closest I will get to having music from my phone would be strapping a iPod nano to the back of the Treo.

~jamie

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
While I’m pleased that the phone finally saw the light of day, my pleasure just about ends there. As a phone, it’s hardly cutting edge. And as a music player, it’s a poor substitute for an iPod.
Well duh! what did you expect? As a camera, phones pretty much suck compared to quality digital cameras. As digital video cameras, digital cameras suck. You will never have a cure-all electronic device. The point of the phone is to have a few tunes without carrying around additional equipment.

I'm certainly not going to complain that my car stereo doesn't sound as nice as my home one. But as of yet, I can't drive my recliner to the grocery store, either :mad: