Motorola S9 Bluetooth Headphone Pairing - iPhone 3G S - MAJOR issues

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Doju, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

I bought a pair of Motorola S9 Bluetooth Headphones for my iPhone 3G S on eBay last month. They arrived yesterday from Hong Kong (come with Moto's logo and stuff so I doubt it's a knock-off). http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&item=280362650277&viewitem=&salenotsupported

Initial reactions:
    - Box dented.
    - Manual has many spelling errors. "Put on bead, then you're ready to gh." "Pair woth device." How legitimate is this if they can't even spell-check their manuals?

Anyway, past the initial bad reactions, I unboxed them and tried to pair them. Manual said it needs to be charged for two hours. (Note: it said at 25% it would change from red to yellow, and at 100% yellow to green. It didn't even show red.) I tried after two. No luck.

I said hell with it, I'll let it charge overnight. I plug 'em in, go to sleep. I wake up in the morning, try again.

iPhone 3G S > Settings > General > Bluetooth On

It says "Motorola s9". I press that, it takes awhile, goes to a new page asking for a PIN. I check in book, claims it's 0000 (zero x4). I input that, press connect. "Could not connect to Motorola s9". Gahh.

How do I do this? I tried on my sister's iPod touch, and it said "Connected". I went to the iPod app. Nothing. Went back to Settings and it said "Not Connected". Gahhhh.

What should I do? Am I doing something wrong here? How do I make these work? I contacted the seller but this is incredibly annoying. I'd rather not wait another 3 weeks to ship them back to Hong Kong, wait two weeks for them to be checked, and another 3 weeks for them to ship back. The woman has 99.5% feedback and hundreds of sales, I didn't expect this. (Definite negative feedback.)

2. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I am using the S9HD's now but I found my old Motorola S9 manual and found no spelling or grammer errors. What kind of box did you get yours in? Regular Motorola packaging or OEM Bulk or just boxed with some motorola goodies?

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I wouldn't be surprised if they are indeed a knockoff. They can duplicate logos pretty easily. The manual with spelling errors heightens my suspicion.

4. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Agreed - Kind of where I was going since my manual is error free. Seems fishy!

5. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Same deal here. Bought from a vendor on eBay for a fraction of the Apple store retail price.

After I'd paid (via paypal) I got a warning message from eBay that the listing had been deleted and I should not pay. Well, I had already paid and received a tracking email so I figured I'd wait it out for a few days. After about 17 days they finally arrived.

The headphones appear to be a clever knockoff of the S9-HD headphones. They look very close in appearance but there are subtle differences:

1) Box was for the standard S9 and was dented and creased
    2) Instruction book was dog-eared and full of errors
    3) LED stays red when charging. Does not go through color cycle red-orange-green
    4) LED stays blue when playing music, not green
    5) Re-dial requires two quick presses of phone button, not press and hold

and the BIG DEAL BREAKER...

6) NO MICROPHONE in the right ear piece!

So I have a decent set of stereo BT headphones that can't be used to take calls.

Oh well, you get what you pay for! :mad:

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Aww that sucks, HFP is useless then. Did the seller had a lot of positive feedback?

7. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Sadly yes. And decent email communication.

I now have a claim open with paypal.

BTW, they're such a faithful copy that they even have the 'perspiration causes the volume to go all the way low and stay there' bug. :eek:

8. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Ouch, that is kinda hard not to buy from, especially with the feedbacks.

Good luck with your claim case, hopefully it works out smoothly after all your trouble.

9. sidewinder24 macrumors newbie

i got a cleaver imitation of the Motorola S9 just a few days ago...

its clear that its an imitation, it does not have the shiny outerback or the polish, just a matte finish.

i did'nt even get a user manual. the supplier had a link on his ebay page to a user manual PDF which was obviously linked from Motorola's website ...

there is however one problem, there is no mic !!!!

but it seems to work fine otherwise. on the S9, I can only control the Volume and Pause/Stop playback. Nothing more...

oh yea, the LED stays red all throughout while charging and goes Blue, not green while playback, it says Green in the manual....

10. Migael macrumors newbie

One more...

I bought a counterfeit Motorola S9... but my have a microphone. However the headset does not turn off the right speaker in calls, so the person calling listen himself and then me.

Well, i noticed something was wong when i turn the headset off pressing the power button less than a few seconds and my mobile stats making my last call. LOL but i discovered i can turn my S9 off by pressing the call button. LOL

However it's fine to listen mp3. :rolleyes: