Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you buying?

• No

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I don't like Motorola

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • iPad 4 life!

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
Are you buying? Or is just an oversized droid? :D

*A note to the mods - if you could, I'd like this thread merged with the other Motorola tablet thread. Thanks.*

Ok I'm going to restrain myself from being rude/sarcastic, because I'm sure you will get enough of that (unless everyone just ignores you)

First of all the motorola tablet hasn't been announced in any way, just a teaser trailer with no info released. Heck I haven't even heard any rumored specs, but I don't go around to motorolarumors.com so I really wouldn't know

Also how is "no" any different than "i hate motorola" and how is "yes" any different than "ipad 4 life"..... Come up with better options

SmokeyRobinson

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2010
Most people don't follow the Apple way of committing themselves to a purchase before ANY info is even known.

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
Ok I'm going to restrain myself from being rude/sarcastic, because I'm sure you will get enough of that (unless everyone just ignores you)

First of all the motorola tablet hasn't been announced in any way, just a teaser trailer with no info released. Heck I haven't even heard any rumored specs, but I don't go around to motorolarumors.com so I really wouldn't know

Also how is "no" any different than "i hate motorola" and how is "yes" any different than "ipad 4 life"..... Come up with better options

No is different than I hate motorola because I voted no cause I have an iPad and love it and yet I have a motorola droid 2 and love that too.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Motorola can make some lovely hardware.

I recall everyone going GaGa over the build of the Razor phone a few years ago, that was the cool phone to have at the time, beautifully made from thin metal, so I don't know why people have digs at them.

As for the Honeycomb operating system, well we shall have to see.

I'm sure Honeycomb will be followed by even newer more advanced versions as time goes on.

I see no reason to dislike or rubbish a product that we've not even seen or used yet.

Let's wait and see shall we :)

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I feel the need to mention this beat-into-the-ground-but-still-not-understood concept regarding your "It's just a big droid" comment.

It's about screen real estate. Saying it's just a big droid is like saying an iPad is just a big iPod, or a couch is just a big love seat. Bigger is sometimes better, and while the software and logic board are very similar, it's the screen real estate that makes it such a woinderful device. If you don't NEED that screen real estate, and would prefer something smaller, then by all means buy an iPhone or iPod Touch, your not the iPad market. Not exactly directed at the OP, but just as response to all of that "junk" floating around on the internets.

As far as the motorola tablet, I HOPE it comes out. I also hope that the HP tablet that is supposedly going to be announced at CES (with onboard USB 3.0 and otherwise), comes out and is successful. The original iPhone lacked a very fundamental and practically NECESSARY function of a smartphone, 3G networking! But WITHOUT competition there was NO NEED to add functionality and therefore delay launch! With Android, Apple had to do something to make their product stand out!

The iPad is here and has taken the world by storm. They have to compete with some 7" tablets but that's like a car competing with a pickup truck. They are sort of the same, I mean, they both take you places, but there is enough difference in the two that they aren't in direct competition. Someone shopping for a compact car isn't likely going to end up buying a pickup. Just like someone (like myself) who thinks 7" tablets are a little too small to be any more practical than a smartphone, are "stuck" with the iPad. (Granted, I love the iPad, but what are my choices if I want a larger screen tablet?)

NOW there are more 10" Tablets possibly coming out. That means the iPad has to get that much better! Competition is a beautiful, beautiful thing. When there is no competition, the market belongs to the manufacturer. Look at Windows, a poor product with a lack of innovation and update, but we ALL use it, and pay way too much for it! (Yes I use Mac OS and linux at home, but most stores check me out on a Windows Point-of-Sale machine, and most of my family members use Windows, and I'm sure not a day goes by that I don't end up using Windows at some point!) I can't wait to see what Apple can do when they have something they are TRULY worried about on their hands.

I know they SAY the Galaxy tab sells as well as the iPad, but I'm with Steve, you've gotta be lying. I see iPads everywhere, I know LOTS of people who have iPads. I go to the mall, people walk around with iPads! I have NEVER seen a Galaxy tab "in the wild". They really don't have anything to be worried about, yet!

kdarling

macrumors P6
I know they SAY the Galaxy tab sells as well as the iPad, but I'm with Steve, you've gotta be lying. I see iPads everywhere, I know LOTS of people who have iPads. I go to the mall, people walk around with iPads! I have NEVER seen a Galaxy tab "in the wild".

Perhaps because the Tab hides nicely in a pocket or purse.

For that matter, mine is in a leather cover and you'd not really notice it even if I carried it in the open. Looks almost like a day planner.

As for the mall thing, isn't it funny how the nerds won after all? I mean, now it's cool to be seen constantly carrying around a fairly large portable computer. Cracks me up. (You might have to be my age to understand.)

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
The iPad does everything I wanted in a tablet. Emails and surfing the web.

I've got a laptop for my 'proper computing'

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; GT-P1000 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Sticking with my Galaxy Tab for now! :D

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Haven't seen it yet.

But I bet Motorola's tablet with Honeycomb will be a big Android phone, just like the iPad is a big iPhone.

There are certain relations, and the underlying OS might be the same, but the experience will be different.

Motorola is doing much of the same thing that Apple does. Talk down competition, while releasing something that is similar (but different in Apple's own way). It's how corporate competition works.

I won't be getting an Android tablet until I can find a decent performing one for a relatively cheap price. I'm very happy with my iPad for actual use... I'd only want an Android tablet to play around with because I'm a curious nerd. :)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
To be fair, and I've no doubt many will disagree :)

Apple opened themselves up to the pretty valid criticism that it's just a big iPhone, or more accurately a big iPod Touch by not redesigning the UI front end.

If you have a UI that's made for a 3.5" screen, and just blow the graphics up for a 10" screen, Of course it's going to be criticised as that's all you have done.

And, though people here may choose to deny it. If you had polled most people, even on these forums before the iPad launch, I don't think the majority would have thought this was all Apple was going to do. Basically just blow up the graphics to fit the bigger screen.

You would have thought Apple would have made a new UI for the larger screen format and made a lot better use of the way bigger area.

I'm not sure what Android Honeycomb is going to do.

If they take all the graphics from a current Mobile, such as the HTC Desire, and just scale it all up to fit a 10" screen, then we can all throw the same criticism back at them.

Oh, the Android Table is just a big android phone.

But I don't think they will do that, as that would be stupid.

And in the same way is was stupid, yes, perhaps that's a harsh word, but perhaps very narrow minded is better to just take the same UI and blow it up from the iPhone to the iPad.

I've no doubt Android front end/UI's will be designed to make more use the the size/form factor of the larger device.

Perhaps Apple will change, but to be honest, I don't think they will change yet. I think they will start to look incredibly old fashioned, perhaps iPad 3 or 4 before they actually bring forward a new UI that better makes use of the screen.

Not just icons on a static background and that's it.

That's the sort of UI I'd expect on something like a dumb iPod for playing music on a tiny screen where it's too small to really display anything else.

Not on a 10" tablet computers screen.

Be very interesting to see how things are this time next year.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
To be fair, and I've no doubt many will disagree :)

Apple opened themselves up to the pretty valid criticism that it's just a big iPhone, or more accurately a big iPod Touch by not redesigning the UI front end.

If you have a UI that's made for a 3.5" screen, and just blow the graphics up for a 10" screen, Of course it's going to be criticised as that's all you have done.

And, though people here may choose to deny it. If you had polled most people, even on these forums before the iPad launch, I don't think the majority would have thought this was all Apple was going to do. Basically just blow up the graphics to fit the bigger screen.

You would have thought Apple would have made a new UI for the larger screen format and made a lot better use of the way bigger area.

I'm not sure what Android Honeycomb is going to do.

If they take all the graphics from a current Mobile, such as the HTC Desire, and just scale it all up to fit a 10" screen, then we can all throw the same criticism back at them.

Oh, the Android Table is just a big android phone.

But I don't think they will do that, as that would be stupid.

And in the same way is was stupid, yes, perhaps that's a harsh word, but perhaps very narrow minded is better to just take the same UI and blow it up from the iPhone to the iPad.

I've no doubt Android front end/UI's will be designed to make more use the the size/form factor of the larger device.

Perhaps Apple will change, but to be honest, I don't think they will change yet. I think they will start to look incredibly old fashioned, perhaps iPad 3 or 4 before they actually bring forward a new UI that better makes use of the screen.

Not just icons on a static background and that's it.

That's the sort of UI I'd expect on something like a dumb iPod for playing music on a tiny screen where it's too small to really display anything else.

Not on a 10" tablet computers screen.

Be very interesting to see how things are this time next year.

We should be used to scalable UI's though. I mean, it would be COOL if Apple had a different UI for each screen size (but maybe not, it would be something to re-learn), but look at Windows, OSX, Windows Mobile, et al. It doesn't matter if I am running on a tiny netbook or hooked up to a 120" projector screen, Windows, basically, looks the same. Things scale, but the UI doesn't change to take advantage of the screen real estate, nor change to accommodate the small screen. Third party apps sometimes do, but the OS doesn't. Apple isn't going anything different here, so why CRITICIZE someone for doing what we should really expect? It's like criticizing Ford for making the new Ford Edge with four wheels!

Also, someone above asked if I worked in the business/marketing field, no, I don't.

And don't forget, the people who write these articles, and the people who post on this forum, are a niche group of power users. There is an older woman I know who likes to have a smartphone to stay connected. The problem she had with her android phone is, she downloaded Apps that caused it to crash and lock up, she tried to customize it, got it to the point where she couldn't hardly use the thing and couldn't figure out how to revert it, had apps running in the background killing her battery, etc. Things that for the people here, are absolutely non-issue, but for her it was difficult. She just recently got an iPhone 4, and she loves it. She never worries about anything, it always works, and she feels comfortable exploring and playing and etcetera, because she isn't going to push a button and screw the whole thing up! Apple needs to hold on to that market because it's much much bigger than you think. (Understand what I'm saying here, I understand that someone who knows what they are doing can be very powerful with an Android device, but a not-so-tech-savvy 'dummy', will have a much better time with that simple, albeit function-lacking UI)

Finally, the above who mentioned the "big portable computer". I am not for a second denying that the Galaxy Tab isn't a great device. It's too small for me (not that it's too small to use, it's just that it doesn't present an advantage over my iPhone's screen, for all practical purposes.) The thing for me is, the iPad is big enough to distinguish it as, yes, a portable computer, NOT a tiny gadget.

And yes, I remember the trend in technology to go smaller and smaller, and it is funny how now it's getting bigger and bigger. I actually laughed at one of the (HTC?) commercials commenting on how BIG their smartphone was. It's true! That's what sells now! Before, they would be saying "It's 1/100th of an inch smaller than the other guys!"

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.