motorola v551

mRedly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I have a motorola v551 cell phone. I am wondering if/when I purchase my iBook with bluetooth, will I be able to sync my moto phone with it? Will I need to buy/download additional software, or is there something available already on the iBook?

Thanks very much.

plumers

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
CA
mRedly said:
I have a motorola v551 cell phone. I am wondering if/when I purchase my iBook with bluetooth, will I be able to sync my moto phone with it? Will I need to buy/download additional software, or is there something available already on the iBook?

Thanks very much.
I used a regular USB data cable and it works just fine with iSync, I will try my bluetooth soon (I just got it on the mail today) and will let you know if it works.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Do a search for it here, on THESE forums.

Some people posted workarounds and edits in iSync to make it work - Motorola phones don't always act the way they should with Bluetooth (except the RAZR V3 - that phone has amazing bluetooth) and don't work on Windows without hacking the phone, but on a Mac you just change something in iSync.

Kerry Sanders

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Hayden, AL
Has anyone been able to get the Cingular clad Razr V3 to sync via Bluetooth with Tiger and iSync? I got my Razr last night, but iSync does not recognize it via Bluetooth. It does see it via USB, however.

I did not know if there was a hack that could be done to make it work via Bluetooth.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I sync my V551 over bluetooth with iSync all the time with no problems, didnt have to do anything special to get it working. Others haven't had luck though

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
I have a 15' Powerbook 1.5Ghz, and a Motorola V551. My phone connected thru Bluetooth instantly. No cables or cords. Worked great for me.

jeffgtr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
With the new isync update I can now sync my V551 using bluetooth with no problem, I CANNOT however browse the device via bluetooth, when I do the audio, image, and video folders from the phone appear but I cannot open them, I get the error message "failed" or something like that. I can however send my pictures from the phone to the mac by using the menu on the phone to "move" the image, but I must do it one at a time and it's a pain. Someone told me the reason for this is because my wireless company is Cingular, you'd think they'd make it work flawlessly with the mac in light of the pending Cingular / ITunes deal.

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
jeffgtr said:
With the new isync update I can now sync my V551 using bluetooth with no problem, I CANNOT however browse the device via bluetooth, when I do the audio, image, and video folders from the phone appear but I cannot open them, I get the error message "failed" or something like that. I can however send my pictures from the phone to the mac by using the menu on the phone to "move" the image, but I must do it one at a time and it's a pain. Someone told me the reason for this is because my wireless company is Cingular, you'd think they'd make it work flawlessly with the mac in light of the pending Cingular / ITunes deal.
Cingular is not the smartest of companies!!! :mad:

PBGPowerbook

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
dotdotdot said:
(except the RAZR V3 - that phone has amazing bluetooth)
wtf does that mean? If any phones have "amazing" BT it's ericssons. -on cingular too, i might add, for the poster above me

jeffgtr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
The someone that told me it was probably a cingular issue that causes the inability to browse the device via bluetooth was an employee at the cingular store. In fact they tried to call Motorola to see if there was a firmware update for the V551, the tech at Motorola claimed that since it's a Cingular phone its a Cingular issue not a Motorola one. Who knows what to believe. Actually I my confidence level in the Cingular person and Motorola person are equally low.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Cant be a Cingular issue if me and several others who have a V551 through cingular have absolutley no problems with it whatsoever. Must be a firmware bug on a certain version of the phone

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
didn't work with panther for me, but is golden with tiger. I just had to delete the pair and add a new one. iSync works like a charm.

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Here's an odd thing; I have tried to connect 3 v551s by Bluetooth to my iMac G5 for file transfer, but only 2 of them work. What reason would there be that the third will not allow the device to be browsed?

All phones are discovered/paired and their names are given accurately, but that last phone just can't be browsed.