Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Just ordered one of these. Anybody used it yet?

accessories-4346b-450x350.png

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Got it in yesterday.

It comes with a few sizes of ear gels and two ear hooks. They seem pretty secure, though not as comfortable as the Bose was. The headset is about the size of the Jawbone ERA, but has the extendable boom on the end.

Interface consists of a call/end button on the rear, hard volume keys, and a hard on/off switch. There is a voice menu system for settings.

Call quality is quite good, as is the A2DP performance, at least to my ear. I noticed a bit of occasional crackling with certain things like Waze turn by turn directions, not sure why that would happen as opposed to with the music and calls.

The headset supports voice answer and callerID, so an incoming call is announced by name, and you can simply say answer or ignore without touching the headset at all.

The extendable mic boom is held in the closed position by a small magnet. The headset can tell what position it is in, and there is an audible tone when it is extended or retracted, as well as voice announcement the first time you do it after powering on.

I haven't gotten any complaints about call quality, in fact, the person I called said that they couldn't even tell I was in a moving car. I can't help but think that moving two of the four microphones closer to your mouth while increasing the mic separation must make the noise cancellation easier.

As a bonus, it comes with a nice plastic carrying case that will accommodate the headset even with the ear hook installed.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it feature wise, especially opposed to the very spartan feature set of the Bose. On the other hand, it's pretty big compared to the Bose, and not nearly as nice looking as the Jawbone. Interface and controls wise, it has the Jawbone beat handily. I hate not having real volume keys, and the accelerometer support on the ERA was never fully exploited properly.

I paid half price with a discount, and at that price I'm pretty damn pleased. I don't know if I'd pay full retail though.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
This looks nice, but I looked at the specs and it is a little heavy for me. I like the light ones.

Are you using the ear hook or just the in ear gel? I have a hard time with ear hooks (glasses).

Is reception degraded much when the boom is retracted?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.