Motu Ultralite / New SR MBP / Boot Camp: Doesn't work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by QuasiMojo, Jun 14, 2007.

1. QuasiMojo macrumors newbie

My first Mac.. and I love it so far. It's a 15", 2.4 SR with 2gb of ram.

I installed Boot Camp 1.3 so I could run Windows XP on a partition (use it for music); no problem. Set up my Motu Ultralite on the OSX side, no problem.

HOWEVER: The Motu UltraLite doesn't work on the XP partition, at all. It shows up, but no audio can be routed through it. It's a firewire audio card, if you're not familiar with it. Anybody have any ideas of things I could try to get this working? A bit frantic, as I spent all this money on the laptop to have a solid music machine... but now it's looking a bit bleak.

Thanks so much. First post!

2. Golcondio macrumors member

I solved the problem by installing the following microsoft hotfixes (re-booting between each one):
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. WindowsXP-KB904412-v2-x86-ENU.exe (firewire hotfix a)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...37-A0EA-4B34-B19F-B6EC04C1F2D2&displaylang=en
    2. WindowsXP-KB896256-v4-x86-ENU.exe (dual core hotfix)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...48-8240-4934-BBD8-34FB8A0FCE3B&displaylang=en
    3. WindowsXP-KB885222-v2-x86-ENU.exe (firewire hotfix b)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...07-18B5-4112-8BD6-8BF4BD3130B9&displaylang=en

working great now, hopefully this helps

3. Greasybaz macrumors newbie

Now theres some information that'll soon be very useful to me. That is once I actually put down the money for a new mbp and an ultralite. Thanks!

4. Golcondio macrumors member

It just seems to me that a Mac with Bootcamp is in some way different from a PC with equivalent hardware: I've read lots of complaints about firewire audio interfaces going crazy under Bootcamp, when they work perfectly both under OSX and WinXP on a non-apple PC.

That said, I'm still using Windows because I need Usine, which is the best software out there for live usage: I've yet to see someone who tried it and failed to be awed by the possibilities offered! Sadly, it's only for Windows (2 devs only, so the porting may take some time)...

You won't regret yor purchases, especially the Ultralite: aside from the number of in/outs and the internal mixer, what amazed me is the quality of the converters AND the preamps; while obviously it can't compare to high-end interfaces (2000$ and upwards), it holds the best quality/price ratio out there (for someone that can hear the difference with an M-Audio, at least...).

5. chammer42 macrumors newbie

Wow, and I was already giving up on the plan to run brainspawn forte on a MBP and bootcamp.
    It's strange, but not many people seem to know about these hotfixes. There's a lot of complaints about ultralite not working in bootcamp. So just to make sure: this really works? That would be great! Do you have an ultralite mk3 or the older version? Do you think that could make a difference?
    Thanks a lot in advance.

Chris

6. thesporkofsatan macrumors newbie

I run a new macbook pro 2.53 ghz core duo, 4 gb ddr3. I am running 10.6.2 on the mac side and the equivalent drivers on the windows side. I am posting this to bump this post and also to say my specific story about getting the mk3 ultralite to run under bootcamp. I am also writing so that people can hopefully be spared having to deal with the massive a@#holes at MOTU and can just fix the issue themselves....

I actually called MOTU customer service before I bought this interface and the customer service person actually told me that this interface is supported by MOTU under bootcamp. I had seen several forums threads that that stated otherwise but they were all older threads and I figured it was a new thing. That is the reason why I bought this overpriced interface as opposed to another however after contacting customer service regarding it's less than perfect functionality I learned something very disturbing... the customer service guy lied, it is almost 2010 and IT IS STILL NOT SUPPORTED!!!

So, After several days and hundreds of forum posts later (and absolutely no help from MOTU). I have still not been able to get the mk3 working using a SP3 windows installation. Something is fishy with the firewire driver and I have not been able to do anything about it.

However, If you get a copy of the windows SP2 installer disk and then install the following updates (thanks Golcondio) it will work:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. WindowsXP-KB885222-v2-x86-ENU.exe (firewire hotfix b)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

2. WindowsXP-KB896256-v4-x86-ENU.exe (dual core hotfix)

3. WindowsXP-KB904412-v2-x86-ENU.exe (firewire hotfix a)

So just to clarify install windows SP2 --> Install bootcamp drivers --> install updates, rebooting in between each update (I installed the updates in the order that they are written, no idea whether that makes a difference).

*** I have not been able to get, even with my super fast computer, under 55ms latency on the bootcamp side. There is 2.61ms of latency when i run it on the mac side. MOTU will not give me any help with this issue as either so if anyone knows any way to help with this that would be appreciated..

7. joslinmusic macrumors newbie

links not working

hi guys.
    wanted to bring to your notice that the links are not working and am trying to set up my motu with windows on mac thru bootcamp.
    see the drivers being installed and all but does not detect audio with or without a daw. i use cakewalk sonar 7.

please help.

jd