Motu Ultralite - Opinions/Compatibility/Questions

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by odinsride, Oct 29, 2007.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I am looking to replace my Mbox 2 with something better. Ever since I got the Mbox2, my MBP has had kernel panics, hanging apps, and other little things that are driving me crazy, most of which are documented on Digidesign forums by users, but Digidesign refuses to acknowledge/fix. On top of all that, it's not even compatible with Leopard yet.

So what I'm looking for is a decent Firewire interface to use with Logic Studio.

I've heard good things about the Motu Ultralite, and I even see that their Leopard support looks more promising. I just want to hear some opinions/reviews on this interface, and possibly get recommendations for other interfaces to use with Logic.

Preferably interfaces that do not cause KP's and all this crazy nonsense that my Mbox2 is doing.

Thanks

2. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

3. Mr.Pibb macrumors newbie

Mr.Pibb

I was looking at a Moto Ultralite but it seems very over priced for its features. My M-Audio Firewire 410 works perfect with my MacBook Pro and Logic Studio and pretty much any other audio app. I have not tried it with Leopard but I dont have any plans to upgrade any time soon as I'm content with Tiger. It has 2 XLR/Line inputs and 2 headphone outputs on the front, and 2 line inputs and 8 line outputs, 1 s/pdif in and 1 s/pdif out, 1 optical in and 1 optical out, 2 firewire ports, and MIDI in and MIDI thru ports on the back. It can be completely powered by the firewire port, is a decent size to travel with, and costs just under $300. It also sounds quite good.

4. Mr.Pibb macrumors newbie

Mr.Pibb

I was looking at a Moto Ultralite but it seems very over priced for its features. My M-Audio Firewire 410 works perfect with my MacBook Pro and Logic Studio and pretty much any other audio app. I have not tried it with Leopard but I dont have any plans to upgrade any time soon as I'm content with Tiger. It has 2 XLR/Line inputs and 2 headphone outputs on the front, and 2 line inputs and 8 line outputs, 1 s/pdif in and 1 s/pdif out, 1 optical in and 1 optical out, 2 firewire ports, and MIDI in and MIDI thru ports on the back. It can be completely powered by the firewire port, is a decent size to travel with, and costs just under $300. It also sounds quite good.

5. NotChemist macrumors newbie

I have a MOTU Traveler, which is in some respects a big brother to the Ultralite. If you can afford it, I'd take the MOTU hardware over "equivalent" M-Audio hardware any day. The Ultralite has balanced analog connections throughout, which I've not seen on any of the M-Audio devices with which I've had experience (though I'm not sure about the 410). MOTU also is much better about their drivers with regard to stability and updates (unfortunately I have to use a Windows XP x64 system from time to time, and M-Audio still to this day doesn't have working 64 bit drivers for my hardware).

6. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

Thanks for the replies. With regards to price, I'm willing to spend a little more for the ultralite if it's something that will last me for a while, and has good quality/few problems.

7. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

I'm using a MOTU Ultralite, which I've had for about a year, in Leopard right now. It's a great little piece of hardware. It never gives me any trouble and everything about it is rock solid.

Although I'm happy with the Ultralite, you might also want to consider the new Apogee Duet. It's in the same price range, and while you give up all the I/O options of the Ultralite, you gain better A/D and D/A converters and better integration with Logic.

8. HELP ULTRALITE macrumors newbie

please i need help

:( hi my name is Val , i need help please, i have a motu ultralite conected to my mac pro , with leopard OS this is the problem i 've been having , i installed de drivers and software and installed ultralite , i am eable to listen to songs using Tunes, i am also eable to listen to my Roland keyboard wich i have conected to utralite, but ,when i try to use garage band or logic express, and do all the basic setup ' you know choose ultralite as and audio and midi intarface on logic preferences and garage band as well, i am not eable to record or listen to any sound throught motu ultralite, i even imported an audio song from tunes to garage band and logic as well, and still dont make any sound throught motu, i am eble to hear the song that i imported from tunes when i switch back to the built in speakers from the mac pro, but not from motu , i 've even gone to motu website downloaded the latest driver and still dont work , please help, is there anything am i doing wrong? i used this ultralite on a pc before and it worked perfect but why is not playing back or recording using garage band or logic, it just play back songs from tunes and what ever sound the system makes besides garage band or logic and i 've made sure that i am using motu ultralite as my audio interface on these to programs , please helpppppppppppppppp
    :(