Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windowsymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I've run Daemon Tools on Windows before and it mounts an .iso file so that Windows thinks it's a real cd drive with a cd inserted, but I can't find anything like it on the Mac. I can open and eject .dmg files as if they were discs, but I would like Mac OS X to actually think that it's a real cd drive with a cd in it.

Anyone know of programs for the Mac which are similar to Daemon Tools?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... on Windows before and it mounts an .iso file so that Windows thinks it's a real cd drive with a cd inserted, but I can't find anything like it on the Mac. ...
Have you tried launching iTunes after you mount the .iso file on your Desktop?

windowsymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Thanks! I'm trying out Toast for now. Will let you know if it works.

By the way, what does iTunes have to do with it?

windowsymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
If you have Toast, you can mount it as a CD / DVD.

Roxio Toast mounts the dmg as a DVD (I can see a DVD icon on the desktop), but unfortunately it fails to make the computer think it's a physical dvd drive. When asked to specify physical cd/dvd drive, I can only select MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J. And the other link you provided can only mount dmg's normally or created dmg's. Any more help out there???

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Oh, I don't know. The fact that iTunes is the MacOS X CD player might mean that it plays .iso copies of CDs.
But the OP didn't seem to be trying to mount an image of an audio CD. It wouldn't be necessary for it to see it as a "real" disc in that case and mounting the DMG would suffice.

Roxio Toast mounts the dmg as a DVD (I can see a DVD icon on the desktop), but unfortunately it fails to make the computer think it's a physical dvd drive. When asked to specify physical cd/dvd drive, I can only select MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J.
No, Toast won't create a virtual disc drive, but in most cases OS X will still see the Toast-mounted file as if it were a real disc and not a mounted disc image. This usually works for games/programs that require the disc to be inserted. For what purpose do you need the computer to actually think you have another drive?

windowsymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Anyone know of a program, then, that will convert .dmg to .iso exactly? By this I mean that no information is lost, and everything (including layout of icons) is the same as the .dmg. You know when you download a .dmg file from the web and open it, it sometimes shows the application icon, an arrow, and the applications folder alias? Well, when I try running Terminal commands to convert dmg to iso, the .iso no longer shows it that way, instead it shows a lot of other icons in normal icon view.

windowsymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
No, Toast won't create a virtual disc drive, but in most cases OS X will still see the Toast-mounted file as if it were a real disc and not a mounted disc image. This usually works for games/programs that require the disc to be inserted. For what purpose do you need the computer to actually think you have another drive?

One program I have needs to read information from a disc, or (I think it's possible) from an .iso file. I have a .dmg file, however, and I don't want to burn a disc, so I was looking for something like Daemon Tools.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I just tried renaming a DMG with a .iso extension. Didn't work. Toast is the only thing I've found that will do it.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I kno for some disc they have to be set to locked.

If you do a Get Info on the file there is a little checkbox that might need to be checked. Some programs will check this to make sure you are reading from a none writable source.

You can lock the .dmg and then try to use Toast to mount it.

windowsymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
To convert a dmg to iso, in terminal:

Code:
hdiutil convert imagefile.dmg -format UDTO -o imagefile.iso

that will create imagefile.iso.cdr. The rename it to .iso with:

Code:
mv imagefile.iso.cdr imagefile.iso

WOW you just made my day! It works GREAT! THANK YOU! :):):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.