Mount HFS volume in windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by btcomm, Jul 21, 2007.

1. btcomm macrumors regular

Ok so I took the HD out of an old mac, has OS 8.6 so I'm pretty sure it uses HFS. I hooked it up externally and the drive shows up in device manager. In disk management it shows up as unallocated space. I installed macdrive but it will not mount it as a drive letter. Is there any way to read this HD with my windows computer?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

search for a program called HFS explorer, itll let you see the folders and extract stuff, it will only read though it will not write

3. btcomm thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any other type of file system that OS 8.6 would have used other then HFS?

This computer basically stopped giving video. So I took the HD out of the old mac, used a usb connection to connect it to my PC, the drive shows up but I tried macdrive and it will not read it. I will try your program, but I also tried "recover data for mac" and it took like 24 hours to scan the drive, it shows that there is like 142 mac partitions and some are listed as being like 1 TB but obviously are completely incorrect, the drive is a 4GB drive.

Is it normal that a mac drive hooked up through USB to a PC is not readable? Is it possible that file system got corrupted before I even hooked up the drive to the PC?

I just don't get it, I took the drive strait out of the mac, hooked it up to the PC and it is not being read.