mount image from terminal with finder dialog

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by d1squiet, Dec 9, 2018.

1. d1squiet macrumors newbie

I'm trying to write a bash script that will mount an encrypted disk image. I've been using hdiutil and have figured out how to pass a password to the command, but it would be much simpler for me if hdiutil just opened a finder dialog box (like what happens when I double-click on a dmg file). That is to say, I'd love the bash script to pause and let the finder deal with the passoword/encryption. Is this possible?

I thought maybe i had to use diskutil instead of hdiutil, but I couldn't figure out how to pass a dmg file to the diskutil command.

2. chabig macrumors 603

If you just leave the password out of the terminal command, won't it present to the user?

3. d1squiet thread starter macrumors newbie

Only in the terminal as far as I know.
    I'm looking to eventually run it in the background, or within an apple-script or such. I'm sure I will figure out a method I like, but seems like the functionality of letting the OS handle it would be nice. Also for non-terminal-friendly users it would look normal.

4. chabig macrumors 603

Instead of using hdiutil, just use "open". That works the way you want.

open <path to disk image>

5. d1squiet thread starter macrumors newbie

ha! so simple. will the script pause for the dmg to mount? I wonder... will see.

6. chabig macrumors 603

I not an expert. I just learn by trial and error. Let me know.

7. d1squiet thread starter macrumors newbie

It didn't work at first – the script keeps going. A little research revealed that "open -W" will force the calling application (the bash script in this case) to pause until open is done. So far it works perfectly.

thanks!