mount local afp shares

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Apocrathia, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

Here is my setup: I have a drobo connected to my mac mini and shared over afp, the root directory of the drobo contains two folders (Network Storage & Time Capsule). They're both individual shares, the purpose of each should be obvious.
    I have all of my other macs backing up to the time capsule afp share, I want the directly attatched mac mini to back up to that specific folder as well. I figured just doing this in the terminal would work:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /Volumes/Time\ Capsule
    sudo mount -t afp afp://user:pass@localhost/Time\ Capsule /Volumes/Time\ Capsule/

however, i get this:
    Code:
    mount_afp: AFPMountURL returned error 62, errno is 62

I am trying to keep from partitioning the unit or anything like that (i already know about time tamer, don't suggest it), which is why i want to mount the afp volume locally, to restrict where the backup is. I really don't want it in the root directory.
    any ideas?

2. Apocrathia thread starter macrumors 6502

This would work as well but I highly doubt that it's possible: if I could specify the folder on my Drobo for Time Machine to make it's backup, that would pretty much achieve the same effect. However, I think that will be more of a pain than trying to locally mount the network share.
    I am thinking I might be able to locally mount an smb share. I will be looking into it. This might be a backwards way to force time machine backups into a specified directory.

3. tonin macrumors newbie

I run into the same issue. I had my Drobo connected to a DroboShare and had set it up with afp share and a sparse bundle to backup remotely to it. As in case of big backups wifi is not the most suitable medium, I tried to connect the Drobo directly to my MacBook Pro. I was seeing the sparse bundle, but couldn't use it as is with TimeMachine because it wasn't in the same volume (/Volume/Drobo/DroboCapsule vs /Volume/DroboCapsule when mounted through the network).

As you did, I exported the /Volume/Drobo/DroboCapsule as a shared afp folder. But still impossible to mount it localy. The finder was telling me that I should access the files localy and when I was trying with afp://localhost I get the same 62 error as you, which probably means the same as the finder error.

But I tricked MacOSX using a ssh tunnel and another port. If you do something like ('mypowerbook' being the name of your machine, for you your mac mini):
    Code:
    ssh -L 1548:localhost:548 mypowerbook.local

and then mount the share with:
    Code:
    mount -t afp afp://localhost:1548/DroboCapsule /Volumes/DroboCapsule

MacOSX will not complain. I guess this is because we're now connecting through a different port (1548) instead of the original afp one (548), this port is going through the local ssh tunnel and arriving straight to the afp service.

I just did a Time Machine backup localy this way and it worked flawlessly.