Mount network disk on desktop in Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by accacc57, May 5, 2009.

1. accacc57 macrumors newbie

I am using a 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon MAC running Leopard OS (10.5.6). We are 3 designers using 1 network drive (Lacie Ethernet 1TB) to store our projects. I used to be able to backup this network drive using duplicate option of Retrospect Express to another Lacie that was attached to the USB port on my MAC. Since we upgraded to Leopard I have not been able to do this. I think this is because the network drive no longer mounts on my desktop. I think it used to think the network drive was on my computer because it was on my desktop, but it no longer does. Anyway, I need to back this drive up on a regular basis. (I am currently drag/copying it, did I say 1TB) Is there any way that I can get this drive to mount so that it is on my desktop? Does anyone know of any programs that might duplicate this NAS for me over the network to the one on my MAC or I could add another Lacie to the network. All of the software I have found is just to backup a MAC computer not a drive. Please help. If I can drag and drop it, it seems like this should be easy, but when I tried a command line copy it didn't work (I think because we named it "mac lacie disk" with spaces between the words and it stops at "mac" and can't find the rest.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, getting an icon to appear on your desktop is just a matter of going to Finder, selecting Preferences from the Finder menu, and checking "Connected Servers" in the General tab.

That said, I doubt this has anything to do with Retrospect recognizing the drive.

Personally, I wouldn't use Retrospect for what you're doing. I do exactly that at work--my workstation has an external drive that is used to do nearline backups of the 1TB server drive mounted via the network. I'm using Synk Standard to do this automatically. It has no trouble doing a differential mirror of a network volume to a local one, and if you have enough space on the local drive it can even keep archived copies of changed or deleted files for a specified period of time. It can be set to run automatically on a schedule as well.

There are a number of similar (and similarly inexpensive--around $50) pieces of software that will do the same thing--a quick search on Versiontracker will show a half dozen. I settled on Synk a while back and have been happy with it; my only real complaint is that it doesn't have a good notification system for failed automated backups, so I end up checking manually to see if a backup failed for some reason (for example, the local volume wasn't mounted; it can be told to automatically mount the network volume if necessary). Growl + an email plugin will theoretically do this; that's my setup at home, though I haven't yet had a backup fail to test it with.

3. accacc57 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks so much for your quick response. I have downloaded a trial version and am testing it out now. You are 100% right about the mounting thing (of course you probably know that) but thanks again.