Mount USB-stick as a DVD, is it possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dalseide, Oct 20, 2009.

1. dalseide macrumors newbie

Hi, I am having trouble installing vista on my MacBook Pro (late 2008), now running Snow Leopard.
    The reason is a malfunctioning DVD-ROM. Therefor I have created an image of the Vista DVD with my desktop PC.

Boot Camp on the other hand cant read from anything than the DVD-ROM. So the question is, if there some way to make OSX think my USB-stick is a CD-ROM? At least until the rebooting (similar to what DeamonTools does in Windows).
    The USB-stick is bootable, so at restart it will boot. But not before Boot Camp have done it's job, since it's in NTFS.

Regards
    dalseide

2. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

Actually u don't need to "mount it as a dvd". Bootcamp can detect any devices that contain bootable data, and boot them. What you should do, is instead of just pasting the image file in the usb stick, you should actually mount the image first, then "restore" it to your usb stick using disk utility. After that, the next time you boot into bootcamp, ull see ur usb stick as an option and you can boot from it. Good luck

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

That all depends on if Vista is able to install from a USB disk. The Intel Macs can boot up to USB, and can boot up from a Windows install disk, so it shouldn't be a far leap to boot up to a proper bootable USB.

If Vista did require some special setup or work around to be able to boot from a USB there should be guides online on how to do so. The catch is that you'll most likely need Windows to set up the stick in the first place.

4. dalseide thread starter macrumors newbie

The USB is made bootable on a desktop PC I have, already running vista.
    And Disk utility doesn't format to NTFS, that's why I used the PC.

Guess I'll have to wait until I buy my self an USB CDROM. I have search for hours on google and haven't found anyone having similar problem.