Mountain Bikes for Beginners

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tottenham4Life, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Tottenham4Life macrumors member

I have been a couple times in recent weeks and I like it quite a bit. After losing 30lbs that was gained from a Leg Injury I am looking for all things active. I am looking for a hardtail bike probably by Specialized or Trek......Also anyone from Los Angeles and know better trails?

2. hmmfe macrumors regular

You did not mention a price range. My personal preference would not be Specialized but more towards Gary Fisher, Kona, Jamis, Salsa, Marin, etc. It's just preference though. In the end, it is much more important to find a good fit geometry-wise and a good local bike shop you trust. I have a Trek hardtail and it does everything I need it to do. I have an irrational dislike for all things Specialized.

What type of riding are you expecting to do? I believe too many people get mountain bikes for the typical riding they will do. I know they look cool and all but they are made for a specific purpose (a purpose that most people will not use the bike for except occasionally). I've converted a mountain bike I had to a hardnose and put some "slicks" on it and it is a much more versatile bike now. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Go out and test ride as many bikes as you can and when you find a bike shop you trust and like have them give you a quick fitting and then buy whatever they have that fits and is in your price range. You may fall in love with one particular bike - in which case, definitely go for it.

If I were in the market for a new "mountain" bike. I'd probably set a Salsa Ala Carte. Its a frame only but I like to hang the parts I want on it instead of having to get what comes with it.

Good luck in your search.

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Just like shoes, it's whatever fits you best. I would go to a bike shop there in LA and get fitted. Tell them your price range, you are a beginner, etc...