Mountain Dew Attacked my Macbook! How to respond?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lukasV, Oct 8, 2010.

1. lukasV macrumors newbie

Here's the story: A few days ago I splashed some Mountain Dew across my keyboard. I shut it down a minute or so later and took a bunch of the keys off to wipe it down and try to clean it. Against my better judgement, I turned it back on about 30 minutes later. The laptop worked perfectly fine the rest of the night.

The next day the 'A' key was messed up. It worked about 10% of the time. The rest of the time it typed stuff like 'asdfg,' a bunch of really weird symbols, or it wouldn't work at all. The next day the 1 and Q key did the same thing. Now today the Delete key and volume keys have crapped out as well.

Whats going on and what should I do?!
    Do you think getting a wireless keyboard will remedy anything?

PS: Some of you might say how I should have discontinued use of the laptop immediately. It was unavoidable considering I need it for school and such and do not always have an alternative. However, today I am using a sibling's laptop.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's almost certainly going to need a new keyboard. You can use an external keyboard if you like, but I don't think there is another way to fix the computer itself. You're extremely lucky that it didn't get to the logic board and fry that when you turned it back on. Should something like that happen again, under no circumstances should you turn it back on in less than a day or two. If the logic board gets wet and you turn it on before it dries, you may as well buy a new computer.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What is a wireless laptop?

Well that doesn't make sense, because if you turn it on a half an hour later in the majority of cases your logic board will fry from a short. Then you won't have a computer anymore.

4. lukasV thread starter macrumors newbie

So a wireless laptop will (essentially) bring it back to normal? Do you think the laptop will continue to get worse?

Haha, I meant wireless keyboard. My bad.

And I think it didn't fry because there was not a whole lot of liquid. I mean, when I say "splashed" it was more like sprinkled across the keyboard.

5. Narcosynthesis macrumors member

Some of the liquid will have gotten under the keys, so will be causing a few of them to stick or sort oddly which is causing the problems.

Using an external keyboard won't solve the problem as such, but will avoid it - If you don't touch the internal keyboard it will hopefully do nothing, and the external keyboard will work like normal.

6. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I believe you may harm your mac by keeping it on. Call apple see what they will charge you to fix the issue and weigh that cost with replacing the computer.

7. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Sounds like a little more than a splash and sprinkle. Let us know how it turns out.