Mountain Lion 10.8.3 not saving my settings

Mainbeam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Liverpool, GB
Hi,
I have recently upgraded my MacBook Pro to use an SSD as the start up disk and a Sata drive in the optical bay for mass storage. Everything works fine and is super fast - BUT.....

I have noticed that when I make little changes like rearranging my dock,(removing certain apps and rearranging) and customising Safari toolbar, when I log out and in again it is back the way it was originally.

I had used a symbolic link app and created a 'Services' folder in the library section of the start up disk which I have now deleted. Could this be the cause or is it something else?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
"I had used a symbolic link app and created a 'Services' folder in the library section of the start up disk which I have now deleted. Could this be the cause or is it something else?"

I don't have the definitive answer for you, but I'll reckon the above actions have _something_ to do with it...

Mainbeam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Liverpool, GB
Just to let you know - I did a fresh install of Mountain Lion and the problem has gone. I wont be using symbolic link anytime soon. :)

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Just to let you know - I did a fresh install of Mountain Lion and the problem has gone. I wont be using symbolic link anytime soon. :)
Wish I read this earlier, could have prevented a clean install, the problem is permissions, and permissions only,
Most likely the preference folder was set to the wrong permissions, if that is the case the system seems to make a temporary folder with settings, as soon as you log out and in again all settings are reset.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Always best to check and repair permissions in Disk Utility before doing something that drastic. :) Could have saved you some time and effort.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Repairing permissions does not solve this, repairing permissions does not work on the Home directory!
I never said it WOULD. ;) Simply saying there are steps to take before blasting everything and doing a fresh install. This isn't Windows.

A simple terminal command does work though.
Indeed it does, if you know where the problem is in the first place. Sounds like the OP just got tired of trying to figure out the exact cause and started fresh.

lkrklnd

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
@Justperry @Yahooligan Well what's the Terminal command?

I'm having the same problems as the OP and would love to fix it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.