Mountain Lion 10.8.3 not saving my settings

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mainbeam, May 24, 2013.

1. Mainbeam macrumors newbie

Mainbeam

Hi,
    I have recently upgraded my MacBook Pro to use an SSD as the start up disk and a Sata drive in the optical bay for mass storage. Everything works fine and is super fast - BUT.....

I have noticed that when I make little changes like rearranging my dock,(removing certain apps and rearranging) and customising Safari toolbar, when I log out and in again it is back the way it was originally.

I had used a symbolic link app and created a 'Services' folder in the library section of the start up disk which I have now deleted. Could this be the cause or is it something else?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I had used a symbolic link app and created a 'Services' folder in the library section of the start up disk which I have now deleted. Could this be the cause or is it something else?"

I don't have the definitive answer for you, but I'll reckon the above actions have _something_ to do with it...

3. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I don't think you caused it. I have the same problem on my new MacPro with 10.8.3

4. Mainbeam thread starter macrumors newbie

Mainbeam

Just to let you know - I did a fresh install of Mountain Lion and the problem has gone. I wont be using symbolic link anytime soon. :)

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Wish I read this earlier, could have prevented a clean install, the problem is permissions, and permissions only,
    Most likely the preference folder was set to the wrong permissions, if that is the case the system seems to make a temporary folder with settings, as soon as you log out and in again all settings are reset.

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Always best to check and repair permissions in Disk Utility before doing something that drastic. :) Could have saved you some time and effort.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Repairing permissions does not solve this, repairing permissions does not work on the Home directory!

A simple terminal command does work though.

8. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I never said it WOULD. ;) Simply saying there are steps to take before blasting everything and doing a fresh install. This isn't Windows.

Indeed it does, if you know where the problem is in the first place. Sounds like the OP just got tired of trying to figure out the exact cause and started fresh.

9. lkrklnd macrumors newbie

@Justperry @Yahooligan Well what's the Terminal command?

I'm having the same problems as the OP and would love to fix it!