Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redache

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
I don't get how Lion added 'no' new features. They bumped both OpenCL and OpenGL to newer versions which are the kind of things that directly affect 'professional' users. Apple can't be blamed half as much for dodgy drivers as they seem to be and go on, go to Linux, let's see how much better the graphics drivers are there (pro tip: they aren't). Stability is a non-issue, there's just varying degrees of 'broken in the right way'.

Last edited:

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I don't get how Lion added 'no' new features. They bumped both OpenCL and OpenGL to newer versions which are the kind of things that directly effect 'professional' users. Apple can't be blamed half as much for dodgy drivers as they seem to be and go on, go to Linux, let's see how much better the graphics drivers are there (pro tip: they aren't). Stability is a non-issue, there's just varying degrees of 'broken in the right way'.

There are some people that fear change and fight it at every turn...I am very grateful that apple never bends to these people!

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Yes because clearly being able to tweet straight from safari and bing able to answer iCloud messages from within an OS make it instantly unusable be 'professionals'

Never quite heard anything so stupid in my life...... If that were the case 'professionals' would still be trying to do everything via command line :D

Honbe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Yes because clearly being able to tweet straight from safari and bing able to answer iCloud messages from within an OS make it instantly unusable be 'professionals'

Never quite heard anything so stupid in my life...... If that were the case 'professionals' would still be trying to do everything via command line :D

I would suggest you to read couple of posts in this thread to understand what are "professionals" talking about in this regard.

----------

I am very grateful that apple never bends to these people!

Frankly, I am afraid you are right on this one...

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
What I loved about OS X can be best summarised by Steve Jobs when he announced OS X ~2001 (see the presentation on YouTube). They wanted an OS that was really powerful for pro users, but easy to understand for novice users.

Lion and Mountain Lion seem to be focused on people who go on Facebook, check their emails and browse the web...

Kcdxb

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
man, it's too early on a saturday to actually respond to all the crap in this thread.

The only pro mac users who have a legit software beef with apple right now are FCP Suite users.

Lion works fine. Trust me. I've done Lion rollouts at Hitachi Data Systems, Lucasfilm, and Dolby for over 5000 machines total in the last 6 months or so, all into AD environments using Casper to manage and image the macs. And you know what? It's great! (well, ok, the AD plugin was broken until 10.7.2 came out, I'll give you that. But apple fixed it, and quickly.) Mobileconfig files are a great addition to all the MCX and scripting management tools we already had. Heimdal kerberos seems to be MUCH more likely to work correctly out of the box than MIT was. Filevault 2 actually works, unlike Filevault 1. The new SMB client is fine, and supports more secure authentication methods than the old SAMBA.

Mountain lion adds a nice new security feature (gatekeeper), a BUNCH of new API's for devs, and some iOS apps that should have been in OS X anyway. I see no reason to bitch about it.

Hello elvisizer.

I am brand new on this forum and just started being on forums today.
I am not sure if I am posting in the right place.

Like you I am a apple holic and I am trying to find assistance with proffessional an knowledgeable in Mac for my companies deployment.
I am doing the maintenance myself and this is why my system crashes all the time.
Should you have a few advices I would very
Much appreciate it.

Regards

Kcdxb

ClassObject

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2010
Most PROs don't update all their systems every time a new OS comes out. I know PROs who are still using CS4. If every post house updated all their software every time something new came out it would both cost a fortune and keep IT so clusterfuked in any company not the size of a postage stamp.

Guess it depends on your idea of pro. Most pro developers update as soon as possible, myself included. Most that I work with run pre-release OS versions to make sure their products work with the next release. Most IT depts leave software configuration up to the individual for reasons you mention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.