Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wsw1217

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2012
I am running Mountain Lion and Windows 7 on BootCamp.
Learning Windows 8 upgrade only 39 dollars, I am definitely going to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.
My question is that can it be upgraded directly via BootCamp? or Should I do fresh install for BootCamp?

Since the price is for upgrade version, if I do fresh install on BootCamp, there is no way for Microsoft to know Windows 7 previously ran on my mac, so that probably cause the ineligibility of upgrade.

Any ideas?
Is there anyone upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 on BootCamp before?

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Not to jack this thread, but my question goes along with the title of this thread.

I am currently running Lion + Win8 via bootcamp. I don't have a whole lot on my Windows side, so would it be best to un-bootcamp that partition, install ML, then re-bootcamp if I want Windows back? Or would it not make any difference?

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
To the OP, I haven't done it but I don't see why you can't just upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Just because we bootcamp doesn't mean our Windows is any different than an PC Windows. Essentially it's all the capable of the same thing.

However, that being said usually you don't want to just simply update to a new version of an OS. Usually you want to do clean installs, mainly because of capability issues. If you update like this some programs won't be able to run and you'll have a lot of useless drivers, or the possibility of. I would reinstall Windows 7 and then upgrade a clean W7 to W8.

Not to jack this thread, but my question goes along with the title of this thread.

I am currently running Lion + Win8 via bootcamp. I don't have a whole lot on my Windows side, so would it be best to un-bootcamp that partition, install ML, then re-bootcamp if I want Windows back? Or would it not make any difference?

No point to reinstall Windows 8 since it's still a release candidate version right? Eventually you'll have to reinstall it, but not because of ML.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.