mountain lion bug on mac air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Acorn, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

not sure if this effects just the air or all mountain lion but i discovered a bug. in mountain lion it places your full name in the menu bar up top. I thought maybe i should remove my last name in case i ever took a desk screenshot and forgot about it my full name wouldnt be there. so i clicked my name in the bar up top and chose user groups. from here i simply trimmed off my last name. this worked. however, when my machine went to sleep and woke up again, it had my full name as a log in and my password didnt work anymore because it had my last name. it took me awhile to figure out what was happening because my password wouldnt work and i knew it was the right one. then i hard reset to reboot and when the log in came up again this time it only had my first name and the password worked.

so anyway. if anyone changes their name the first time it goes to sleep and wakes up it will have the old value and your password wont work.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So this is no longer an option in System Preferences > Accounts?
    ScreenCap 2012-07-30 at Mon, Jul 30,12.37.55 PM .PNG

3. asting macrumors 6502

I think it is. I just dragged the whole thing off while holding command.

4. andbnew macrumors newbie

Yup! Works for me too...a great tip!Thanks

5. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

the fact that it puts your name up top isnt the bug. the bug is in the description i wrote.

it is neat that you can not have it up there though. wasnt aware of that option. however that option doesnt change the existing bug.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you follow the correct procedure for changing the name?

OS X: How to change user account name or home directory name

7. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

That isn't a bug. You literally changed your user account name. You would then log in with your first name only.

8. johncauk macrumors newbie

I just command pressed on my name to make it go but how do I get it back!:confused:

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Look at post #2.

10. johncauk macrumors newbie

11. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

when the system goes to sleep and then wakes up you cannot change the name that i know of. its fixed you only enter a password. so if they keep the old name there is no way to log in without rebooting so it comes up with the correct name.

if there is some way to change the log in name from that screen once it wakes from sleep can someone tell me what it is. i dont mean a way after you have already logged in.

12. calvy macrumors 65816

It's not a bug. It's more just how a Unix based system works. If you alter your login details (ie your username) you had best log out and back in, or you're going to run into some weirdness.