Mountain Lion from Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Laurencia7, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

Before I even ask, though I should, if Mountain Lion is worth it... can I even get it on my Macbook with Leopard? I never upgraded to Snow Leopard, or Lion because I was afraid my programs and such would not work with new OS.

Any thoughts you can give me?

2. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

You might want to give us information about your computer's specs and the apps that you use frequently...

3. kblack macrumors newbie

Try

Get us some specs on your machine.
    Also know that ML is App Store only, so you'll have to install at least Snow Leopard.

4. Laurencia7, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    SMC Version (system): 1.38f5
    Hard Drive: (original was 120GB) Upgraded to Blue Scorpion HD 500 GB last year.

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L30)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 9.8.0
    Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
    Boot Mode: Normal

I use so many apps, like Gimp, Imovie, Final Cut Express, iWeb, GarageBand, NeoOffice, Safari, Opera, or Mozilla, Komodo Edit, MPEG StreamClip, iTunes, Sims 3, iShowU, CleanmyMac, HandBrake, Prism, Expose, ...

What other specs do you need? It's a Early 2009 Macbook:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QCWQNK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it can run ML. Apple - OS*X Mountain Lion - Read the technical specifications.
    I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

6. Laurencia7, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks GGJ, I have not had any issues but good to know, I will look into Onyx.
    So you think I can upgrade with little issue? If so, if I have issues, and I back up my Leopard on TM, can I reboot with TM in case my apps do not work with ML?

I just want to make sure before I buy this upgrade, and find out A) none of my apps work and B) my Time Machine works too even though it was backed up on Leopard.

It states I have to have Lion or Snow Leopard to upgrade. ???