Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AnnaCody, Jul 29, 2013.

1. AnnaCody macrumors regular

AnnaCody

For anyone still hesitant about upgrading to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard I can say go for it.

My 2 year extended warranty expires next month so I figured I ‘d do it while I could still get tech support under the warranty.

It took about 10 hours to download. My WiFi is pretty fast but I did it wirelessly instead of with the cable. It took another 35 minutes to install. I got stuck on the Registration screen....put in the wrong ID and could not get the cursor to go back so I fiddled around with it for awhile and then just held down the power button and turned it off. Waited a minute or so, turned it on and my desktop started coming on just as I had left it the night before except for a new background.

Breathed a huge sigh of relief and started looking around.

A couple of little things were not to my liking. The flag and VIP folder in Mail and the Notification icon in the menu bar. But some very clever people figured out a way to get rid of them. THANK YOU!!

My keypad scrolling is working consistently now. That’s a real nice bonus for sure.

I ‘m not noticing any difference in speed but I am liking the way pages load and the neat way the DVD player slides on and off. Another issue I had read about was the battery and it seems fine too.

I am a bit bumfuzzled with opening old documents (Pages). I make no change in them but I still have to choose if I want to save them to iCloud or someplace else. What’s up with that? New ones save automatically to where I saved them the first time which is another feature I really like.

Other than that it’s great.....no major hitches at all.

And I can now upgrade iPhoto so I can use some of the apps that don’t work on the old one.

So now I ‘m ready for the upgrade this Fall to Mavericks. I sure hope it doesn’t have all the issues L & ML had in the beginning.

I ‘ll end by saying “be brave, do it before you get really left behind”. I’m pretty sure my hardware is good for another few years so had to get up to date before Apple stops supporting SL.....if they do.

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Ten HOURS to download?? That seems far too long.

Glad it went well, though. I did the same in the fall.

3. coops macrumors regular

Recently did the same upgrade.

Only issue is with a VPN - Tunnelblick seems to be no good or tricky to get working. I just use a different VPN now.

My VirtualBox WinXP wouldn't work straightaway - got and installed a new version of VirtualBox and is perfect.

Surprisingly painless.