Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cathode

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
As others have mentioned, Apple isn't waiting on Mountain Lion to release the new MacBook Pros. Rather, they could be waiting until Ivy Bridge is fully available and update all the models at once. The only processors suitable for the 13" and Air will not be released until approximately June.

We will probably see the new re-designed MacBook Pros become available during WWDC. Apple previously said that Mountain Lion would be released later this summer. Which could mean anything from July thru September.

StuLax18

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
As others have mentioned, Apple isn't waiting on Mountain Lion to release the new MacBook Pros. Rather, they could be waiting until Ivy Bridge is fully available and update all the models at once. The only processors suitable for the 13" and Air will not be released until approximately June.

We will probably see the new re-designed MacBook Pros become available during WWDC. Apple previously said that Mountain Lion would be released later this summer. Which could mean anything from July thru September.

I think you mean most likely.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The sooner Apple releases Mountain Lion, the sooner they can begin improving it. I'm going to wait & watch. I'd like to think by 10.8.4, they'll have it well sorted out.

Then I'll be ready to trust them and upgrade from my ultra reliable 10.6.8.

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I wish that was the final case, but as Cathode had mentioned, that the entire line of ivy bridge processors haven't been released yet, so we will just have to wait til then to see.

But as much as i would like for it to happen, seeing the new 35W quad core processor in the 13" macbook pro would have me ordering as soon as i see it released on the online store.:p

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I know this is pure speculation, but AppleInsider is decently credible:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ning_points_to_june_mountain_lion_launch.html

I'm crossing my fingers! :D
Remember they publish rumors as well. Yes, they do say how reliable their rumor source is, but we'll have to see.

I'm thinking WWDC will see a release date announcement and Mountain Lion will ship in July. This is what happened for Lion.

As to when new Macs will ship? They'll ship when they're ready. after all the iMacs last year came out in May, so Apple won't necessarily hold up Macs for Mountain Lion.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm thinking that WWDC will unveil ML, but that may be premature for new MBPs. I'm hoping though if apple does not unveil an updated MBP by WWDC, it will be shortly after that.

streetmapp

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
It would be pretty good if they came out together. If MBP was slated to come out before ML, the more time that passes before ML drops, the more inconvenient it could be. You just got your brand new MBP a month prior to ML releasing, but then once ML comes out you have to upgrade your OS.

I feel that a good amount probably wouldn't care too much. But the casual user who got a Mac because it "just works", probably wouldn't like the idea of having to upgrade their OS shortly after buying a new computer.

mac-collector

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
Europe
The sooner Apple releases Mountain Lion, the sooner they can begin improving it. I'm going to wait & watch. I'd like to think by 10.8.4, they'll have it well sorted out....

We're not even on 10.7.4 yet, so you're probably looking at more than year from now. But you're right, it should be relatively reliable by then.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
We're not even on 10.7.4 yet, so you're probably looking at more than year from now. But you're right, it should be relatively reliable by then.

I'm not an impulse buyer, or impatient user. The work I do dictates a stable reliable, efficient OS. I'd rather wait than to waste my time having to disable certain consumer "features/time wasters/eye candy" to make it as useful as 10.6.8 I'm using now. The only reason I'm considering upgrading to ML, is the growing problem of security vulnerabilities, and Apples abandoning of anything other than it's most current OS, when it comes to patches.

georgehito

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012

Acidsplat

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
If Mountain Lion was going to be shipping in June and we assume is when MacBook Pros are going to be updated, why would they put even more Hi-DPI things in 10.7.4?

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
If Mountain Lion was going to be shipping in June and we assume is when MacBook Pros are going to be updated, why would they put even more Hi-DPI things in 10.7.4?

It isn't like they endorse the downgrading of OS from 10.8 to 10.7, so my guess would be either that new high DPI screens are coming with 10.7 as the default OS, or the new desktop control feature on the iPad3 is warranting increases in resolution to make the desktop display on the iPad a little sweeter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.