Mountain Lion Messages app wont let me send text messages

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EstrlM3, Jul 26, 2012.

1. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

Anyone else having trouble using the new messages app? For some reason it signs me in to my old aim account?

I want to send messages to phones etc. How does this new app work? when i add a contact to message from the list phone numbers do not show up...

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Kind of strange. I have a iphone and the app works just the way I expect it to. Started it for first time yesterday on two of my iMacs and received different results. First iMac (2011 27" i7) would not allow me to use my regular email address. Told me it was already being used, not sure where. Only place I use it is with mail app. My older iMac (2009 20" C2D) had imported AIM and I have never even used AIM. Again tried to use the regular email address and received the same results, "being used". Created a new email address with my ISP and guess what, same email address worked with both iMac's. You tell me? After I used the address for the first computer it never should have worked on the other, but it did. So it is an app that I will probably not use in the meantime until Apple permits you to combine addresses together. If someone has a solution please let me know!

4. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

It only works with iMessage, meaning to other iOS users. You can't send SMS texts to random phones, there's no cellular radio in a Mac lol.

5. EstrlM3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm trying to send to iOS devices only. Am I not able to send to phone number? I send to their iOS email address and that will send it to their phone?

Also why don't the conversations sync between my Mac and iPhone

6. O-Sho macrumors newbie

I think you might need iOS 6 for full Messages syncing functionality.

7. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Go to preferences, accounts, and make sure that your iCloud account (apple ID) is there. If not, add it. Then, create a new message and start typing the name of a contact that has imessage. If the app wants to send the message to their google chat or AIM, at the top of the screen where there name appears in the to: field, click on their name and select their phone number.

First and foremost, the contact you're trying to message should be in your address book/contacts app.

8. vastoholic, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'm having the same issue. Saying my apple ID is already in use. The only other time I've used it was on a macbook pro I sold (but wiped) and was using the messages beta app.
    Pic 1: I somehow got past the error message of ID in use but it sits here with the spinning icon next to "enable this account" forever. I let it sit for the past 2 hours and nothing. I can go into account details and make sure all my passwords are done correctly (pic 2). The strange thing to me is that my password that I usually use for apple ID, like when using it in iTunes to make purchases, isn't accepted in messages, but when I use my password from my mail account, then it goes through but then will never verify the account.

Attached Files: