Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Hey,

My machine: 2008 iMac 4gig ram 3.06ghz 8800graphics card

I've installed Mountain Lion and it's fine, but it pauses or slows a bit too much for my liking in relation to safari and video. Not a lot, just enough to distract.

So I'm wondering if I should do a clean install as I just did an update from SL. Is anybody using ML on a 2008 iMac? How's it running for you?

Thanks.

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
Hey,

I've installed Mountain Lion and it's fine, but it pauses or slows a bit too much for my liking in relation to safari and video. Not a lot, just enough to distract.

So I'm wondering if I should do a clean install as I just did an update from SL. Is anybody using ML on a 2008 iMac? How's it running for you?

Thanks.

ML running fine on a 2007 iMac. Safari and YoutUbe working fine and no lag. Mine is a Core Duo 2.8 Ghz 24" iMac 4Gb Ram

Was just going through Apple's Mountain Lion site and came across Airplay. Found yet another reason why I want a new iMac. It doesn't work on my older 2007 or 2009 iMacs. Does work fine on my 2011 Mac Mini and looks great on a 50" screen using the latest Apple TV :)

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Since Lion 4GB of RAM seems like an absolute minimum. I have Mac mini with 2GB on Lion and it's unbearable at times (thank god it only serves media).

I'd go with 8GB RAM but first check if the system isn't being slowed down by other issues (lack of free space on system OS, some process taking up a lot of CPU, up-to-date java and flash, install all available OS updates).

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
This is something that really interests me, I have a 2.8ghz 24' Imac with 4gb running on SL that I'm waiting to upgrade (as soon as apple decide to refresh the line)

It's still working fine, but I would like the newer features like iCal support via cloud so that my ipad and iphone all stay updated.

I was wondering if ML will run on it and still allow me to use photoshop cs4 and Lightroom2 as a stop gap until the newer (mythical) imacs launch.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Hey,

Thanks.

I'm running ML on my 2008 24" 2.8GHz iMac with no problems whatsoever; however I have upgraded the RAM to the max of 6GB (even though Apple states 4GB) and have also dropped in a 240GB SSD as my boot/system/application drive. All of my files (with the exception of my Aperture library) are on an external 2GB FW800 HDD.

Check your activity monitor to see what your page-outs look like. Excessive page-outs show that your RAM is low on many occasions and increasing your RAM may help.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Thanks to the replies.

I will check the activity monitor. Didn't know it took 6gb of ram. But I fear it's too late to upgrade the ram as I want the new computer and it would just be wasting money.

I think I might do a clean install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.