Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcfinch

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Do you guys think that Macbook Pros will be sold with Mountain Lion on launch day? It is rumored to be release July 25th.

cmdrmac

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
IA, USA
If you buy it in the store, they are already packaged and will therefore, not likely have ML installed already.

I thought Apple Store employees were able to open the packages and install new versions of OS X and then reseal without any issues. Maybe I am way off...

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I thought Apple Store employees were able to open the packages and install new versions of OS X and then reseal without any issues. Maybe I am way off...

No. They'll give you a code to get it.

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012

I doubt that they would go through that much trouble just to do that ... Your average consumer doesn't even know about Mountain Lion.

mcfinch

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Thank you everyone for your responses! I guess I will just go buy a macbook pro today since it will come with Lion on launch day anyway...

fryrice

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
Boston, MA
i remember them saying that customers who purchased the new rmbp and the new 2012 mbp they will get a free upgrade to ML....anyone know how that works? I just recently purchased my mbp earlier this month but i forgot to ask them how to do the upgrade.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011

Half of people on here would probably throw a tantrum if their brand new Apple products were opened just to do that. :D (Me included :p)

Regaj

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Virginia
My guess is Apple will "bless" the current golden master 2-3 days before their intended launch date. That's assuming no showstopper issues emerge out of that build between now and then.

So assuming Apple is targeting 7/25 as their ML release date, we could guess that they will make that go/no go decision somewhere around 7/21 or 7/22.

My guess is that they can change the image at their manufacturing facilities very quickly. So we could assume that new computers leaving the factory (whether to Apple stores, other retailers, or end users who purchased online) from around 7/22 or 7/23 would ship with ML installed.

That would be my best guess...

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Do you guys think that Macbook Pros will be sold with Mountain Lion on launch day? It is rumored to be release July 25th.

No, they need to sell out of their older Lion-equipped stock first. The geniuses may know (or could scan to find out) which new machines have it and which don't based on the serial number.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I doubt that they would go through that much trouble just to do that ... Your average consumer doesn't even know about Mountain Lion.

Yes they would. And have always done it in the past. They had "Drop In" upgrade disks they put into every system box that left the store until it came bundled from factory. But now there is no need since it is a download now. They will have a way of validating the purchase for a ML download.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Yes they would. And have always done it in the past. They had "Drop In" upgrade disks they put into every system box that left the store until it came bundled from factory. But now there is no need since it is a download now. They will have a way of validating the purchase for a ML download.

He was saying they wouldn't unwrap new Macs and install the software on them, not that they wouldn't just chuck a disc in the box.

Mabyboi

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2010
Ontario, Canada
No, they need to sell out of their older Lion-equipped stock first. The geniuses may know (or could scan to find out) which new machines have it and which don't based on the serial number.

They also have different "wallpapers" on the mac pictures on the box, was easy to spot snow leopard from lion, sold through all my snow leopard ones first.

mcfinch

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Does anybody know if when OS X Lion was released if that day macbook pros shipped with Lion?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I purchased now as I wanted a MBP with Lion just to make my migration as easy as possible - it removes any possible conflicts or software errors etc trying to migrate from one version of the OS to another!

Once migrated I'll upgrade to Mountain Lion, since its free if anyone buys a MBP now anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.