Mountain Lion on Mid 2011 MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MBAForever, Jul 25, 2012.

1. MBAForever macrumors newbie

Can the OS run well on MBA 2011 model? Does the OS eat up a lot of resources?

Overall is the ML a good upgrade over the lion?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I feel like 95% of any changes in ML is under the hood. It's quite hard to tell any difference between it and Lion. I'd say go for the upgrade, but really, expect to not really notice much different. I think all of the hoopla over it is quite silly.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have just upgraded a 2011 13" ultimate..It runs fine, although during installation the Mac gets VERY hot, and the fans run at top speed.

There is an SMC update that is essential, but once that's done, all is well. Overall performance is great.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

That's probably why they called it Mountain Lion. Most of the changes between Leopard and Snow Leopard were under the hood. Similarly, most of the changes between Lion and Mountain Lion are under the hood. It's a refinement of Lion. Apple is on a tick-tock cycle with OS updates, it seems.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The same thing happens if you do a clean install of Lion so it's not unique to Mountain Lion.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Exactly, that's why the reviewers and everyone getting all excited about it is a little over the top. There's not that much to go hootin' and hollerin' about.

7. oscolivar1 macrumors newbie

I was only updating for the airplay feature....everything else is a bonus. But really nothing exciting with the update.

8. jcg878 macrumors member

I'm psyched that it fixed instant-on after wake on my 2011 Air. That plus Airplay and the improved Calendar are enough for me for $20 - I couldn't stand iCal in Lion since multiple calendars were a disaster.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I got 20GB of diskspace back after the upgrade. Not sure how that happened...

10. colote, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

colote macrumors newbie

The problem was the chrome browser, using the Safari, my battery's life increases 4 hours. From 4 hours to 8 hours.
    Can anybody test it ?
    Regards.

MBA, late 2011

11. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

Power Nap works as advertised. I like that it can do time machine backups and fetch email while it is napping, and now I don't end up cutting a backup short if I happen to close the lid before it is done. Mountain Lion has a lot of small changes that make it worthwhile.

12. theprocess macrumors newbie

Any major issues running Mountain Lion on a Mid 2011 MBA with 2GB ram and 64GB ssd?

13. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

We've got a 2010 MBA with 2GB RAM and 64GB SSD that runs just fine with ML. Obviously you can't do anything BIG on these systems with any OS, but it's just fine for browsing, text editing, mail, and the like.

14. theprocess macrumors newbie

Good to know. Main use web browsing, email, light word processing, occassional video and music player...no heavy processing like video editting.

Min ram requirement for Lion and Mountain Lion is 2GB but all the new MBAs are coming with 4GB, so I wanted to hear some real world experience using 2GB.

15. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

I just downgraded a mid 2011 MBA from 10.8.2 to 10.7.4.
    I was having constant restarts and kernel panics with the 10.8.2 upgrade.
    When I want back, not only were the software problems gone but the speed of response and wake-up times drastically improved - I'd forgotten how much slower ML was.
    Unless you have something specific to upgrade for (I do miss IM, but not enough to revert), I suggest you don't bother.