Mountain Lion performance

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Arctix, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Arctix macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if Mountain Lion is going to bring back the speed that was known in Snow Leopard. Currently I'm using Lion and while I really like the new features in Lion, the preview app is very very slow. In Snow Leopard pdf's opened instantly (I really LOVED that), in Lion I always get a beachball and I have to wait 10 seconds or longer to get the pdf (or an image) opened.

So, does anyone know if this issue is resolved in Mountain Lion? And what about general system performance? Does it match Snow Leopard in terms of speed?

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

From what I've read from Devs using the 10.8 betas, Mountain Lion is faster than Lion. I doubt it's as fast as Snow Leopard (fastest OS I've ever used), but Mountain Lion is faster than Lion.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

3. JacaByte macrumors 6502

What I'd like to see are benchmarks from all three OSes (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion) on the same machine. That way we can get a definitive answer.

4. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Mountain Lion's no Tiger or even Snow Leopard, but it's a lot better than Lion for sure. I still get random beachballs from excessive swapping, and wonder why the heck I can't have 3 or 4 applications open at the same time with 4 GB of RAM without issues. But it's a lot better.

5. Arctix thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding,

So what about the Preview app? Does it instantly open pdf's again in Mountain Lion? Are you guys actually having problems with that app in Lion or am I the only one?