Mountain Lion Ruined My Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prabz26, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Prabz26 macrumors regular

Prabz26

I downloaded Mountain Lion this past weekend & since then my computer can't do anything but freeze and run one application at a time.

I have a 15" mid 2012 mbp
    The guy at the apple store deleted some random programs that started on boot-up that were in the background and did a hardware check... Everything checked out fine.

I came back from thinking he may have fixed things but I still have the same issues. I scheduled another Genius Bar appointment tomorrow because at this point all I can think of is getting them to wipe my mac and install Lion and tart from scratch.

Have you guys run into any similar situations, any tips?

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I would recommend a clean install of mountain lion. Likely something went wrong during the upgrade. If that doesn't solve your problems then it may be a hard drive issue.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I agree, a clean install of ML may fix your issues.

But, I have to ask, have you upgraded anything else recently? Or is the MBP stock?

4. Prabz26 thread starter macrumors regular

Prabz26

All I did this weekend was install ML & download a legit copy of Adobe Master Suite provided by my school.

& the MBP is 2 years old.

5. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

So i wasn't the only one that got screwed by Mountain Lion, I have mid 2009 MPB and never had an issue until I upgraded to ML, took several visits to the Genius Bar and plenty of help from this forum to figure out what's going, swapped HD's , replaced HD Cable ( which fixed the issue) , Apple said it was a logic board failure blah blah, I tried to argue that ML caused my laptop to crash they said possibly It stressed the HD and Laptop, but wont admit to it they said pretty much computers fail from time to time ....

6. stevelam macrumors 65816

lol admit to what? it was clearly a hardware issue. ML isn't going to destroy a HD cable, duh.

7. Prabz26 thread starter macrumors regular

Prabz26

So what did you end up doing? & did Apple do anything for you?

8. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

well my first visit to Apple they said it was a HD failure and would cost $200 to fix , I decided to do it myself and purchased my own HD , the issue still persisted even after swapping out the HD so they misdiagnosed, tried a few different things, got another HD it was recognized by the MBP, but I couldn't format it so it's definitely not a HD issue, took it back to them again and told them that I think it's the HD Cable, the guy ran a Hardware test and actually agreed with me and said it's the HD cable I left it there so it can get fixed, they call me the next day telling me it's a logic board issue and would cost $300 to fix , I told them no thanks, I went to pick it up and wanted to make sure that my MBP was in the same condition as i left it , i wanted to make sure it booted up etc and the Genius was being impatient with me , he got his manager blah blah, he told me that they did the HD cable repair anyways and that I wont get charged for it because it didnt fix the issue, anyways we argued back and forth about what could've caused the issue, they simply said Laptops fail that was their excuse I took the MBP home and tried one more time to format the HD and this time it worked, so I don't know what those guys were doing in there to tell me it needed a logic board and that after replacing the HD Cable it didn't work, it obviously did , maybe they didn't even bother testing it out , I don't know so at the end according to them the HD Cable replacement didn't fix the issue , in fact it did
    I ended up getting my repair for free and went back and told the manager they misdiagnosed and they were wrong etc, he apologized and handed me a 10% off card lol

try all the steps that you can do by yourself, I'm assuming you still have warranty since its the 2012 so you should be covered no matter what

I've no doubt in my mind that ML upgrade caused my troubles, I had this laptop for 2 years not a single issue, When I upgraded that's when I got screwed