Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spravtek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Has anyone else had any issues with the java plugin not working in Safari/Chrome after the upgrade to ML?

For some application I needed the Java plugin, it didn't give me the error at first but then it said the Java plugin was missing, in Safari as well as in Chrome, I went looking in the plugin directory but it was indeed missing.

Doing a software update (it's what you supposed to do to get the java engine installed on Mac according to Chrome help) but of course nothing was there.

I got it working by clicking the "missing plugin" error in Safari, it went to the software update engine and silently installed the Java engine ... after that it was installed for both Safari and Chrome.

Just interesting to know if it was only for me .. And maybe it can help others.

knegg

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Mountain Lion - Safari/Chrome - Fix

@spravtek

your solution worked. Same problem here. Thanx! :)

sucks

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
goodonyamate

I had the same isues after 10.8 upgrade
i hunted around for solution and your was simple and fast
goodonyamate

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Not meaning to insult anyone here, but in 2012, what is left using Java that you can't find using better tools?

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Lots of local websites, like businesses and universities and such, still seem to be stuck with ancient Java applets. These spaces are rarely as aggressive when it comes to updating everything to the latest standards, usually because the companies that make their web-apps are such massively overcharging sleaze mongers anyway.

Anyway, yeah, it's no surprise really that the plugin wasn't there as the same was the case in Lion. If you were to open a Java application, then you'd get a prompt leading you to download Java so you can try again, which makes it a little smoother than the missing plugin mechanism.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.