Mountain Lion - Slow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marty1990, Aug 1, 2012.

1. marty1990, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

marty1990 macrumors 6502

Just installed Mountain Lion on my late 2011 13" MacBook Pro.

First thing I noticed that the screen calibration changed. It's gone more yellow.

Second thing I noticed was that there are some apps missing - I can't tell what though, but I had two pages full, and maybe one or two lines of apps on the third page. When I updates, they were able to fit onto two pages, for some reason.

Third thing is that my Mac seems slower. Starting up takes way longer than normal, as does loading apps.

What's the deal?

Also, I tried to open Photoshop, it told me I needed to install Java. I started downloading but cancelled it, cuz I wasn't sure if it was legit. I installed it through Java Preferences. That okay?

I have 4GB of RAM. Just looked on Crucial, seen this;

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=795DA052A5CA7304

I have a base model 13" MacBook Pro, late 2011. That'll work, right?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

In before GGJStudios reposts Optimizing Mac OS X Performance

Re: applications no longer appearing in Launchpad, please take a look at this Apple support article which explains why various applications may be disabled. If they have not been disabled, but are otherwise not appearing in Launchpad anyway, see if these instructions on how to refresh Launchpad are relevant.

3. Kayan macrumors 6502

I don't know what problems you're having and they sounds frustrating, but I know that for my mac (MBP 2009 17"), Mountain Lion actually sped up performance and startup is faster than in Lion. I disliked Lion.

4. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Restarted a couple of times, and the start up seems a tad faster. Not sure if it's faster than Lion though. My Launchpad is still laggy though, and I'm adamant the colour changed to a warmer tone at the first boot on Mountain Lion.

*shrug*

Regarding missing apps, I didn't receive a warning saying that any of my apps are incompatible with ML, but I have noticed that some of the default apps, like Time Machine, don't appear in Launchpad, so am guessing it's certain stuff that isn't displayed there anymore?