Mountain Lion to Mavericks server. Need help

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by SquareOne, Oct 9, 2014.

1. SquareOne macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

Next week i'll be migrating Mountain Lion server to Mavericks server.
    I don't want to do a Time Machine back-up but want to start fresh with some things. I will also be clean installing the client computers.

I have a few questions left and I hope you can help me out.
    1) One of the things I do not want to set up completely are the mail settings. Which folders do I have to copy to tranfer all previous emails and all mail settings. Or is this simply impossible?

2) Same story as above, but then for calendars

3) If I will archive the open directory in Mountain Lion. Will it be possible to import this file into Mavericks without problems? Are all users and groups the same (including settings)?

Hope to hear from you

2. sevoneone macrumors 6502

You will find configuration and data for most services in /Library/Server including mail, calendar and contacts.

I don't know if this will work, but you could always try cloning your existing install and then moving the corresponding folders to the /Library/Server directory on the new Mavericks install, load the server app and see what happens. If it goes sideways, you always have the clone to go back and migrate from.

Just guessing, but you could try this:

1. Archive your Open Directory.

2. Clone ML installation to an external drive.

3. Clean Install Mavericks (Test on a Virtual Machine in VMWare Fusion if you can, makes it way easy to set a snap shot and go back a step or two if something gets screwed up.)

DON'T INSTALL SERVER YET

4. Manually copy the service data you want to migrate from your clone drive to /Library/Server on your fresh install (you may have to create the directory).

5. Repair Disk Permissions

6. Install the Server application.

7. Launch server, don't enable any services yet except Open Directory and restore your Archive.

8. Switch on your individual services and see what happens.

I would think it would see the existing data and treat it just like a normal migration, then again, it may not. I'm curious to see what would happen. I may have to setup a VM or two with some dummy accounts and data and try this if you don't.