Mountain Lion Upgrade - Lion Backup

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by ruibritopt, Jul 3, 2012.

1. ruibritopt macrumors newbie

Hey forum,

So a newbie question :confused::confused: If I bought ML from the App Store when it comes out, if I ever use my Recovery Partition which has Lion in it, will my OS automatically upgrade to ML when I'm connect to the Internet (open the App Store)??

Just wondering.
    Thanks ;)

2. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

no. When the download finished the installer will start, but the installation does not start until you agree for it to start. You will have to initiate the installation yourself, so no ML will not install automatically.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If you use the recovery partition, it will install ML and verify your Apple ID. Once you install ML, the recovery partition will be for ML. If you use Internet Recovery it will install Lion (the OS that originally came with the system). The reason for this is that the original OS is bound to the hardware while anything you buy on the MAS is licensed to you and is not transferrable. So anybody that buys your computer will only have access to Lion.

4. wytwolf macrumors regular

Your recovery partition will upgrade I mountain lion, so you would recover to mountain lion and not lion

5. ruibritopt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all, it was kinda bugging me not knowing.

I'm still not sure if I will upgrade, but if I do it will only be in hope of some of the memory usage problems get fix.

Thanks again

6. ruibritopt thread starter macrumors newbie

Last Question

Just one more thing.

In Linux when you upgrade to a new release you keep your files and applications, i.e they are not deleted, thus the same happen in the Mac's OS upgrade?

Thank you

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yes. An upgrade preserves your apps, settings, documents, etc. If you want to do a clean install, erase the target drive first.