Mountain Lion + WHS 2011

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hawnted, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Hawnted macrumors newbie

I run Windows Home Server 2011 with one Windows 7 Desktop and two Windows 7 laptops that backup to the home server. I also use the Home Server for remote access of files, and to stream media to my two PS3s in the house. I am about to buy a Macbook Air. From my research, Time Machine does not seem to be able to recognize the WHS 2011 box. Seems they removed SMB compatibility and now use AFP.

Does anyone use WHS 2011? If so, how do you incorporate backups? We have gone to Mac at the office, our phones are iPhones, we each have an iPad, we are thinking about moving towards Apple at home as well. I was thinking about changing to a different Server OS, but I really like WHS. Also, I do not know of another product out that there provides the functionality I need out of the box, or accomplished rather easily.

1. Remote Access w/ built in Dynamic DNS
    2. DLNA Streaming
    3. Centralized Backups (while backing up itself as well) with Bare Metal Restore Capability

My only thought would be to utilize a OS X Mountain Lion Server, setup FTP (doesn't solve the remote streaming capability) and DyDNS on the router, use PS3 Media Server for Mac, and implement Time Machine. However, then I gotta build a Hackintosh out of PC parts or spend an unnecessary amount of money...

Thoughts?

2. zone23 macrumors 68000

I have a WHS 2011 and my suggestion is to just keep what you have and add a Time Capsule for your Mac. You cannot do Mac backups on the WHS and you cannot backup Windows on a Time Capsule. I just keep the two separate.

3. Hawnted thread starter macrumors newbie

I may just do that. However, as we migrate completely over to mac at home in the next 12 months, the WHS server will not make much sense. If I do get rid of the WHS, I will need to come up with another solution for Remote Access and DLNA Streaming.

4. zone23 macrumors 68000

Yep thats the same thing I fell into what I did was get Apple TV. I don't have movies to stream but I would think I could stream from my iMac using Airplay and Apple TV maybe I will try it. I've never tried streaming a movie from the Time Capsule to the Apple TV. I do play all of my music via my iMac, iPhone, or iPad using Airplay its very cool. Apple TV has fiber optic out which I connect to my receiver.

I think you can setup a Time Capsule for remote access. I've just been using Screen Share which I can connect to my iMac from work. I use the TC as a router as well. Replaced my Linksys router with it. I don't see a way to setup the TC for DNS service like the WHS server had so not sure how you would know what your IP was unless you used No-IP or got a static address.