Mountain Lion with iMac 2008

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lAnthonyl, Sep 19, 2012.

1. lAnthonyl macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

I have a quick question, is it worth getting mountain lion on my iMac 2008? I'm going to be purchasing snow leopard tomorrow from the apple store (via over the phone since that's the only way you can buy it) just so I can have my iMac running, not the latest software, but newer than what I'm running now (10.5.8) I plan on upgrading the ram to 4GB soon after I get snow leopard, so is it really worth it to run mountain lion on my iMac? I'm just worried about if it will have trouble handling it, I know it is compatible to run it, but since the iMac is a few years old, not so sure if it will meet my standards (I just don't want it to lag a lot)

Should I be fine with snow leopard or should I make the final leap and just get mountain lion? (after I upgrade to snow leopard)

2. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Yes. I'm running ML on my 2008 iMac and it's awesome. I do have 6GB of RAM and an SSD....but it's very zippy.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have an early 2008 iMac. Mountain Lion runs great on it.

Seriously.

4. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

And don't buy Snow. Just go straight to ML. I think you can.

5. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Ditto. Been running it since the day it was released.

6. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Yup, you shouldn't have any issues with running Mountain Lion, but I would upgrade to at least 4GB Memory.. I think Snow Leopard is about the same as ML when it comes to overall performance.. Both are noticeably faster then Lion..

7. lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

I have to have snow leopard first in-order to get the app store since mountain lion is only available there, but snow leopard is only $19.99 so I'm not losing a whole lot of money.

8. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

You cannot. If you want to upgrade, you need to have SL installed.