Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by santydolby, Feb 20, 2012.

1. santydolby macrumors member

I am currently on Snow Leopard 10.6.8

I wish to move to Lion.

1) Should I wait for Mountain Lion skipping Lion altogether?

2) If I install Lion now, would it "likely" be a free upgrade to Mountain Lion when it comes out?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You aren't missing too much by being on SL. ML was only first announced last week and is likely 1-2 years away from public release.

If you want some of the new Lion features, go ahead and upgrade. The only way you'd get a free upgrade to ML is if you buy a Mac within 30 days of the public release of ML. I think that's how it went with Lion last year.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Mountain Lion is coming out in late Summer.

To the OP, I'd say go to Lion now. ML is still a good 6 months away, and you're missing out on great features like iCloud.
    ML probably (90% sure) isn't going to be free. There are references in the Messages beta suggesting that users have to 'purchase' Mountain Lion after the beta has finished. Besides, it's not like it's $300 you'd have to pay for a Windows upgrade!

4. krimsen macrumors member

Look at Apple's marketing talk about the OS'es and decide if the features are worth your time and money.

I'd wait. Lion did not bring changes that I couldn't live without. From the sound of it, neither will ML.

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I would still get lion because like already mentioned lion has some neat features like icloud, and it most likely wont be free people are just hoping it is.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I totally missed that one. :eek: I didn't expect it so soon.

[​IMG]

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

If Lion had nothing more than the offline time machine backups, it would be worth it. Already had a few instances where I needed a backup of a file, but I hadn't connected to the ext hard drive. All the hourly backups were on the system drive!

8. wisty macrumors regular

Lion has nothing. Well, it's got some nice accessibility features (voices, braille options), and the recovery HD looks OK. But 99% of the stuff is under the hood improvements which will only be useful when developers start leveraging them. Cloud integrated documents is an interesting idea (which Steve kind of hinted at back in the "Steve Jobs 1990 Lost Interview", I think it was).

Anyway, both Lion and ML are good, but not great leaps forward (unlike Leopard, which had Time Machine, seriously, any computer system without a fire-and-forget backup system should be illegal now). On the other hand, they are cheap, and Apple is pushing the upgrades out fast.

I guess ML will be a better upgrade, as the internal apps are getting some better integration (both with each other, with iCloud, and with the internet). ML is where Apple shows us what Lion's sync can be used for.

9. Deeps macrumors regular

ML maybe at a similar price to what Lion was at approx £25, so it would be worth upgrading to that anyway.

10. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I'm still on 10.6.8 too, (2 of 3 machines anyway). With Dropbox as my main go to, iCloud just not that relevant to me. Yet.

I think I will go to ML though. Like the look of it.

Lion? Na. Don't like the poor multi-display/ full screen support as is in Lion.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

All but one of my Macs are running 10.6.8, which remains the very best OS for me at this point. I do have an MBA that came with Lion but I find it annoying & of no advantage.

By Mountain Lion, based on my past Mac experience, Is likely to be much more well debugged than Lion. Thus I've decided to skip Lion & go to Mountain Lion after it's first two revs. 10.8.2 is likely to be a good place for end users to jump in.

12. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

If I were you, but knowing what I do after upgrading half our machines, I'd enjoy the speed and simplicity of Snow Leopard for as long as possible.

There's a decent amount of frustration in adopting Lion. Instead of putting yourself through that now, and then again in 6mo's with ML, I'd reduce your frustration to one major OS upgrade, & even hope that ML fixes a lot of what's buggy, slow, and widely annoying about Lion.

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

How much RAM do you have?

from my experience with lion on a few different spec machines...

2gb = stay on snow leopard, unless you need a particular lion feature (for me, on my mini it was a cheap copy of server to play with)
    4gb = consider lion, be aware it is hungrier for RAM
    8gb = go for it.