Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by changes727, Jun 21, 2012.

1. changes727 macrumors newbie

Got my Macbook Pro Retina about a week ago. Walked into a Best Buy and they told me they didn't have any so I walked around the store and 5 minutes later the man told me two just came off the truck. Got the first one. Love it so far. But I'm curious, how is Mountain Lion supposed to improve the user experience on this new machine? What features will be added or improved specifically for the rMBP?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Power Nap

3. 184550 Guest

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know of no features that have been added specifically for the RMBP, but here is Apple's "What's New" for ML:
    OS X Mountain Lion — Use your Mac in so many new ways.
    That's not just for the RMBP.

5. changes727 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha. Had a feeling this was coming for me. I was more wondering if there was anything maybe behind the scenes that would be specific to unique feature only available to rMBP's? If not or if it's already been hashed out, any wise member please feel free to delete the thread.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Nothing specifically and only for the RMBP.
    The thread doesn't need to be deleted, unless you want it to be. I'm sure there will be others who have the same question, who can benefit from the answers posted here. If you want a thread closed or deleted, click the report icon [​IMG] and ask a moderator to handle it. Other members cannot delete your thread.

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

As I've seen in other threads, ML overall handles the retina display better. People running the developer preview have reported that the system (in terms of UI) seems smoother. I don't have a link, but there are many threads that mention this.

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yes didn't see that qualifier...odd question since there are few features that are specific for a model. In this case HiDPI would be it.

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I took a quick video demonstrating UI performance on my MBPR in ML today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnw0Shqt8sU

10. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Here is a more useful question that will help people wondering about Mountain Lion..

Say I just bought a Mac, how do I get the free upgrade to Mountain Lion when it comes out?

I go to this for info:

http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

but how do we request?

11. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

The video is appreciated, but I believe the sluggishness people are talking about is on image heavy websites like http://www.theverge.com or entering and exiting fullscreen mode in apps like iPhoto.

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

From that page..."When Mountain Lion becomes available in July, come back to this page for details on how to request your copy of Mountain Lion."

13. suprsho macrumors newbie

Just placed a order for my rMBP a couple days ago with a deliver estimate of 17-23rd. Think there's a good chance it'll come with ML preloaded?

14. zerotiu macrumors regular

I also have the same question :). Will the ML be given on July order or all series sent on July come with ML?

15. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

Possibly but we don't know when in July ML will be released. So very late July maybe. Still no GM of ML yet. I would guess it will be out 3-4th week so if your MacBook is delayed that long then it might ship with the ML.

16. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I can verify that scrolling on The Verge and fullscreening apps like iPhoto, Mail and iCal is nice and smooth. I can make another quick video if you'd like. :p

17. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

I tried Mountain Lion DP4 and I definitely still had what I would consider to be less than smooth performance.

It wasn't horrible.. but it's definitely not as smooth as what I see on my external display (27" LED cinema display)

If you don't mind capturing another video, that would be great to see, as it wasn't as much improved as I would have liked in my experience with Mountain Lion.

18. doh123 macrumors 65816

i hate those rare times when Beta software is less than perfect...

19. chituan macrumors newbie

Hi killmoms,

Could you please make a quick video of those at 1200p, Possibly with automatic GPU switching on and off to see the difference ?

Thanks