Mountain lions installation size

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by mrmarts, Jun 24, 2012.

1. mrmarts macrumors 65816

Hey all

I got a basic MacBook pro retina and the one thing that sucks is the 256gb of space. So I have been looking on the web for the installation size of OSX 10.8 and hit a dead end, does anybody here know how much space is needed for the installation Mountain Lion?

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Lion is 3.89GB on the App Store. My guess is around there only.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

DP4 is a 4.32 GB download, and the details on Apple's site call for 8 GB of free space.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

After an initial install of the ML developer preview, I ran "Monolingual" to clean out all language resources EXCEPT English -- and saved almost 1gb of space.

So it's possible to "slim it down" quite a bit, if English is all you need...

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

My Mac Pro is running on a 256GB SSD and half of it is dedicated to windows...so OSX is on 128GB and I have 45GB free. So it's not a big deal! You should never be storing anything on your Mac HD anyway! It should only be OS, settings and apps. Photos and Mp3s should be on external devices.

My MBA has 128GB and its also split in half.....so I have 60GB for OSX and it has about 35GB left.

My Mac Mini has a 64GB SSD and it has like 40GB left!

6. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

You 'should' stop telling people how to use their macs. You 'should' have whatever the hell you want to on there. If I want every photo I've taken of my nephews and my full music library on my MBP then it's a user preference not a deficient architecture decision.

As long as the data is backed up somewhere else and you have the space for it then there is no problem having everything locally.

7. duyvan82 macrumors member

I did a fresh install when DP4 came out and it took up roughly 8GB, so I guess for it to work comfortably , you'd be looking at at least 15GB ~ 20GB

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Do you feel better?

9. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I do, I can see his point, and yours, but honestly, put stuff wherever you want it, but you should definitely depend on your system drive being the only place for storing things.

10. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

11. Bear macrumors G3

Then why get an Air? All of a sudden you need an external drive to make it useable. ALthough to be fair, you didn't say where documents and other data files should be stored.

Quite true.

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I dont understand why people ask this. I don't need an external drive to use the computer. Only to store anything large that doesn't need to be stored on it! I barely ever actually take them out of my bag. I use Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime for movies and shows. I use iTunes Match and Spotify for music. Docs are small enough to live on the internal...but the next version of iCloud will store them in the cloud. My external HDD has movies and photos on it....so I plug it in if I want to access that data....otherwise it is just the Air being used.

13. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Sounds confusing... All of my stuff is in one place.