Mounting a non MACOS formatted external hard drive partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by masse, Jun 1, 2007.

1. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I bought the 500 gb mybook from western digital. I have a 1.33ghz pb g4. I wanted to transfer a fairly large ammount of data from my pc (running ubuntu). The only problem is that when formatted for MacOS ubuntu won't write to the drive. So I partitioned 100 gb as fat 32 and transfered the data from my pc to that partition.

Now...

When I hook up the external hard drive to my powerbook I only can mount the partition formatted for mac OS (makes sense..). Is there any way that you guys can think of that I can have all the data on the external hard drive accessible on my powerbook? I'm talking along the lines of being able to mount the fat32 partition as read only and having a macOS partition that is read/write.

Any ideas? I'm not looking forward to putting all of my data on DL dvd's....that would take forever.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Can you see the other volume in Disk Utility?

3. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

I can see both in disk utility, but the fat32 partition (the one with all my data) won't mount and I'm not sure of any way I can use the files I have there on my pb. I have little experience with this type of thing and some google searches proved fruitless.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is Mount greyed out or does it fail when you try?

5. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

6. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Right, its nuked. Can you not select it and hit repair?

7. masse thread starter macrumors 6502a

masse

It's probably because it formatted with ubuntu then put all teh files on and it wouldn't eject properly....

I have no idea why it would not eject though. It's like it kept freezing on me.

So now I guess its off to the ubuntu forums. Better yet, anyone know a good IRC client for osx?