Mounting a remote Red Hat volume in OSX...HOW?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by graphiqdezine, May 18, 2007.

1. graphiqdezine macrumors newbie

I've got a Red Hat server in a data center and I'd like to be able to mount the volume to my OSX boxen.

I've tried the "smb://user:pass@address" syntax (and without the user:pass), but no luck. My guess is Samba isn't running.

Before I run out and screw up while installing Samba (if I could even find it), I wanted to know if there was a better way to do this. I just want ad hoc access to all my files on the server and to be able to copy files directly to it.

Ideas?

2. Winterfell macrumors regular

You don't have to be running Samba in order to mount a Samba share. Samba/CIFS functionality is typically built-in to most modern *nix kernels these days. The server that is doing the "servering" does, however, need to be running Samba.

The command (in OS X > Terminal) is typically something like the following:
    Code:
    mount_smbfs -W workgroup //user@server/folder /mntpoint
    Doing a mount_smbfs --help will help you along.
    Code:
    winterfell:~ colin$ mount_smbfs --help
    usage: mount_smbfs [-Nh]  [-I host]
                       [-M cmode[/smode]] [-O cuid[:cgid]/suid[:sgid]]
                       [-R retrycount] [-T timeout]
                       [-U user] [-W workgroup]
                       [-d mode] [-f mode] [-g gid] [-n long] [-u uid]
                       //[workgroup;][user[:password]@]server[/share] path
    winterfell:~ colin$ 
    :)

3. graphiqdezine thread starter macrumors newbie

The commands you're point out there are to create a share ON the server that I can then mount to my desktop?

My server has only one HD and it is only accessible via the internet (address.com or IP). I don't know if this will change how to do it.

4. Winterfell macrumors regular

The commands I gave you were to mount the share onto your Mac desktop.

If you don't have the share created, then you'll need to create it in Samba (on the Red Hat server).

Since you're running Red Hat, chances are that Samba is installed and running already, and that you'll just need to configure it to share a certain directory.

Do you have an easy way to access your Red Hat box in the data center? VNC? Or can you access it through ssh? Just need to check to see if Samba is already installed.

5. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

do you know anything else you can tell us about the redhat server? maybe it has NFS running?

6. graphiqdezine thread starter macrumors newbie

I have access using the plesk console and telnet and ssh. Sadly (as if it wasn't obvious enough) I'm about as far from a *nix pro as possible.

I don't know how to tell if samba is running. or how to configure samba to share a dir even if it was.

step by step perhaps? :crosses fingers:

7. graphiqdezine thread starter macrumors newbie

After running ps aux | grep smb and samba, it showed no running processes. Same for nfs. I don't know if it is a process or not tho.

8. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

I didn't read that the first time. I thought the Red Hat server was in your own network, but it sounds like it's not..

assuming you have ssh access, try cyberduck. Most data centers wont let you get samba or nfs unless you have are behind a vpn.

9. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Another option is using SSH. Fugu or MacFUSE do a splendid job.

10. graphiqdezine thread starter macrumors newbie

fugu appears to be an app and MacFUSE appears to be a filesystem. I'm not sure how either of these would make it so I can mount my servers HD (redhat linux) on my desktop (OSX) @ home.