Mounting and other issues.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by exterminator, Sep 15, 2010.

1. exterminator macrumors regular

I have some issues with my mac which i am finding completely unacceptable. Can someone show me where am i going wrong?

1) i cant mount a single dmg image... every program that i download in .dmg, i get an error message stating no mountable file systems

2) i tried mounting it through disk utility. However every time that i load disk utility, my imac freezes for atleast 2-3 minutes

3) i have an i5 10.6.4 imac... with pending updates to install. such updates cannot install because when i try, i get an error message

4) at times when i am using my imac, most notably google chrome and msn messenger, my imac freezes such that i have to reboot it.

Being a new mac user, I find that such a stable os that freezes like this on these specifications is absurd and unacceptable. especially since i dont have a lot of programs running.

Notes about my imac : bootcamped with windows 7 , macfuse, tuxera ntfs and ntfs 3G installed.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. exterminator thread starter macrumors regular

Excuse me, but giving me links to threads at least 4-5 years old certainly did not help. I looked through all of them, and they are issues dealing with old PPC versions of the Mac OS, one of which was unsolved...

Any other ideas? About atleast one of my issues mentioned above?

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yes, some of them may be a little old, but that doesn't mean they don't have ideas for you to try, such as repairing permissions and doing an archive and install. Being PPC doesn't make a difference as that's only hardware. Your issue is either software related or a bad hard drive, so those threads I linked are still relevant.

4. exterminator thread starter macrumors regular

I have tried most of the suggestions there but no fix.
    With regards to the combo update, theres very little information and i dont know what this combo update is...does apple release a version for every edition of the OS? will it help me solve my other issues?

5. exterminator thread starter macrumors regular

i downloaded the combo update... but since its in .dmg format i cant install it since the OS refuses to open any kind of .dmg format.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

One option to try, there's a command line way to mount DMG files. No guarantee it will work, but worth a try.

Code:
    hdiutil attach /path/to/myDMGname.dmg
    An easy way to get the right path is the type up until after the attach part, plus a space, then from Finder, drag the DMG into the Terminal window. This will paste int the path to the file.

I can't say if the combo update will address your problem. I've never run into this issue personally so I don't have any direct experience to give.

7. exterminator thread starter macrumors regular

tried that, same problem.. no mountable file systems...

Any opinions on the other points i write in the first post?

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, all but number 4 seem to be the same thing. The system updates download DMG files so it relates to the same thing.

The programs freezing though could potentially be a sign a hard drive failure. There are some tools for checking on the health of a hard drive. SMARTReporter is one tool. See this article and scroll down to section 7 for details on this. Disk Utility can also check the SMART status.

Here's some list on symptoms of a dying drive.
    http://www.macintoshfilerecovery.net/macintoshfilerecovery/mac-harddrive-crash-recovery.php
    http://www.articlealley.com/article_1100335_11.html
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=328122