mounting .dmg file

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lukegarnz, Sep 20, 2007.

1. lukegarnz macrumors member

Hi, i'm totally new to macs, only just got my macbook yesterday. I've just downloaded firefox but when i double click on it to mount it i get a pop up saying "the following disc image failed to mount - reason, no mountable file systems".

I hate to say it but this has got me stumped. I just tried searching the forums for about 15 mins and can't find the answer. I tried mac guides but still no joy, may be i'm looking in the wrong places?

Any help would be really appreciated.

thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Did you make sure to drag the Firefox.app to /Applications when you installed it?

Have you tried downloading FireFox again?

3. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

If it's a .dmg file and it isn't mounting, it must be a corrupt file. Download it again, and try again.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ditto..It's a bad .dmg

5. lukegarnz thread starter macrumors member

i downloaded firefox because it's what i'm used to on my windows machines. To be fair i am quite liking safari so might give it a try for a while. Thanks for the replies, i'll downloading it again just to see if it works.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had the download complete but leave me unable to use the disk image several times in the past few days.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

8. RubberAphexTwin macrumors newbie

very annoying.

why does no one bother to find a real solution?
    I also have 2 new dmg's sitting on my desktop, waiting to be opened cause i actually payed for this machine and expect to use 3rd party programs that I bought it for.
    I downloaded the two images about 20 times, that doesn't work.
    Can someone please give all who are damned a short step by step on how to tweak your 10.2.x, and help get rid of the awful "no mountable file systems" message once and for all?

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If something's wrong with the .dmg, no amount of tweaking is going to get it to work. Contact the authors and tell them they're .dmgs are damaged.

10. RubberAphexTwin macrumors newbie

oh, ok i guess that's their fault.
    in this case, can someone contact Norton and tell them for me, my mail's not working right now.
    ahh man, all those 600,000 users who downloaded their new catalog are sure gonna get a surprise i guess, eheheheh :eek:.
    thanks for clearing that up dude.

11. RubberAphexTwin macrumors newbie

:p sorry for the post above, didn't think it would look so intimidating.
    I was drunk off five shots tequila that day, anyways, its crazy how you just cant turn to any company for a good computer. Something small but very annoying is always gonna come out of nowhere, thus your computer ends up getting a fist go straight through the center of that 17'' monitor, and you sure can't undo that one...