Mounting drives from a Synology NAS to MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by willyorkuk, Jun 16, 2013.

1. willyorkuk macrumors newbie

I'm running Mountain Lion OS on my MacBook Air, I am new to Macs so learning my way through the setup process. I have a Synology NAS on my home network, when I try to connect to my NAS by clicking 'Go' then 'Connect to the server'. I then type in 'smb://192.168.1.13'.

The above gives me this following error message 'There was a problem connecting to the server 192.168.1.13'

If anyone can help with this I'd be very grateful.

2. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Try afp://192.168.1.13/ and make sure the Synology is running the AFP service. Might open a terminal window and verify you have connectivity across the LAN by running "ping 192.168.1.13"

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

OK for u Mac Gurus...

This is a part of Finder I find ulteriorly ancient.

Doesn't Finder suppose to automatically "scan" my LAN, and show me, all "potential" servers I can connect to, and has already established what kind of connectivity such servers will accept?

These smb://x.x.x.x/ thing is so archaic.

4. sk3tch macrumors regular

I haven't had a Mac in a while (receive my new Air tomorrow or Tuesday), but when I did it last year it was pretty simple with the SMB command and my Synology NAS.

Try this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4829

It looks like you're not specifying a folder. Make sure to do so.

5. DoctorK4 macrumors regular

I believe that if the server is configured to support AFP and Bonjour then the mac will automatically "see it." However, if the server/NAS doesn't support those, and instead shares the drive(s) using SMB then you may have to tell Finder where to go to find the network shares.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Is Bonjour a holdover from AppleTalk, if u know what am talking about?

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's archaic, but reliable, and works across subnets. Zero-configuration protocols like Bonjour only work within your subnet. So, in a case where you might have more than one router going, or in an office environment with multiple sites/subnets, typing in smb::// and the IP address will be necessary.

8. willyorkuk thread starter macrumors newbie

All good replies but I still cant get access to my NAS drive, anymore solutions would be appreciated.

9. apolkowski macrumors member

Poland, Warsaw and Masurian Lake District
    Credentials

If you have user name and password defined for your NAS, click on Connect as button at the top right side of the Network window and enter the proper credentials there.

10. techn0lady macrumors regular

Are you absolutely certain that you turned on afp in your Synology box?

11. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I have a Synology NAS, and it shows up in my Finder on the left side of the window - do you not see it at all in the Finder?

If you log into the NAS admin tools, go to Control Panel and then "Win/Mac/NFS", you should have a tab called "Mac File Service". Just click on both selections in that tab and the NAS should should up on your network in the Finder.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, Bonjour is post-AppleTalk. Introduced in 2002 with OS X 10.2.

----------

Log into the NAS web interface and make absolutely sure that afp is turned on. Yu may need to reboot he NAS after making config changes. If you're still getting error messages, open up the Console app in Utilities, connect again, and see what error messages pops up in the console log when it fails. Post here and maybe some of us can help you out.