Mounting HD's

Discussion in 'macOS' started by snverhallen, Jul 30, 2008.

1. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

When I eject my External HD by dragging it to the trash is their a way to mount it again without going to Disk Utility or by manually plugging it in and out again.

Thanks,

snverhallen

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

Why are you ejecting the drive? If it's a drive you use for backups or consistently, it's far better to keep it plugged in. This way you can take advantage of spotlight indexing the drive on the fly as opposed to doing it every time you plug it in.

When you eject a drive, OS X assumes you are going to be powering off or disconnecting the drive. So, in doing so, it removes the drive from the list of available drives. When you power on the drive again, and it is plugged into the computer, OS X automatically mounts it.

So...what exactly are you asking?

3. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well my external HD just holds files from my old HD so I don't use it 24/7 and I find that it slow's down my Mac quite a bit when it revs up every so often so I eject it when not in use. So was just wondering if there is any way to mount it again without using Disk Util. or plugging it in again.

snverhallen

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

Ok...so you're saying you leave it plugged in and powered on, and then eject it? Well, no there isn't any other way to mount it. Generally with externals you should either leave them plugged in or unplugged and powered off if they're used casually.