mounting .img file to bootable flash drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aethelbert, Apr 5, 2009.

1. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm trying to restore the OS onto my netbook and there's a tool that is supposed to be able to automatically mount a restore image onto a flash drive. Thing is, every time I try it, it only allows me to select drive bays without discs in them, so it's sort of worthless as you cannot begin the download without selecting a valid drive.

I found the direct download that the program so I have the .img file now but I need to place it onto the flash drive in order to install the OS. In the past I've just dragged the content files after mounting them in Finder over to a formatted disk but this is now consistently producing a blank boot on the netbook. Is there a command in Terminal or an option in disk utility that I am not seeing to mount the image rather than copying the files? I'm thinking that it's missing something by simply copying the files.

Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes. Using the Terminal will copy even the invisible files that are getting missed in the image. A simple recursive cp will do the job nicely.

3. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

What's the best way to code that in? I just tried it and it failed to boot from the drive again. Still, I'm not all that experienced with terminal anyway.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Code:
    cp -R /path/to/source /path/to/target

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I would imagine you could also use Disk Utility to "Restore" the mounted .img to the flash drive which also transfers hidden files. Just select the Restore tab in DU, drag the source and the destinations from the left-hand side of DU into the appropriate areas and click Restore.