Mounting iPhone 4S in car - Needs to look clean

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by olletsocmit, Apr 25, 2013.

1. olletsocmit macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

I really want to mount my iPhone 4S in my car. My only issue with it is that every time I see how people do it, it just totally looks like crap! I am not interested in some universal holder thing it a bulks holder. I want it to look professional and close to factory as possible.

I am sure it will be a lot easier to mount it (just have something hold it) vs docking it (charging and synced thru the stereo). It will really only be for when I use the navi down the city.

I have attached a pic below of my interior. I used little stars to show where I want it. I either want it mounted near the left vent or on the window somehow in the corner there.

It's a 2008 Volkswagen R32. Basically the same inside as a gti or rabbit.
    [​IMG]

If anyone has any suggestions, please help.

2. Mrbobb, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

The guy at the custom car stereo shop can make a custom cradle made out of fiberglass for you and upholstered as needed.

At the A-pillar location, the A-pillar is your top location the incline piece that joins the car's body to the root. There is a piece of cover that can be replaced with something else, and that something else would be that cover piece BUT with a molded-in cradle for your iPhone. I wish I can draw a picture, but you will have to pay me. :) The result will be what we in the business call "stock," as in like-it-just-came-from-the-factory.

And if you go in there and start haggling$, the guy may end up saying he can't do it.

OK, kinda like THIS.

Google, if ur lucky there maybe ready-made for you car, so you won't have to pay custom price.

P.s. if ur car has side airbags on the A-pillars then forget about placing anything there.

3. webworks415 macrumors 6502

I recommend putting it there where the top star is located. My girlfriend wanted hers out of the way and it looks great there. Get an iOttie or Koomus mount, they are the best looking and minimal designed mounts. There are also mounts that attach to the vent if you want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. olletsocmit thread starter macrumors 6502

olletsocmit

Do you have a pic of it in her car? I would love to see how it looks there